Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I recently had someone post a log that I'm not sure if I should leave or delete. This is supposed to be a family friendly game and its not really bad, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. The Cache is one that we placed in front of Mcdonalds in Gravel ridge. Here is the log: "Halious and fairy lady. Mcds needs to get the hell outta town." I use the word myself, I'm not overly religious, but there is a time and place. I'm not sure that a Cache log is the place. I am hoping for some thoughts on how I should handle, or not handle, it. Thanks in advance.
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

This same Cacher has left other logs that talk about how he don't know "why he is sober" I don't drink much, but I do on occasion. But again I'm just not sure that a Cache log is the place to discuss such things. I don't want this person to get mad at me and go out and destroy all my Caches either.
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

The person sounds to be an outlier and could be spiteful if you were to delete the log resulting in the dilemma you pose in your post. This type of behavior and random destruction or theft of caches in Colorado has led many to list caches for premium members only, (as has been discussed previously here when this unfortunate behavior occurs periodically). Difficult as it is, it might be best to ignore the post and focus on the pleasant "found" entries. Bet this person will "disappear" before long.

See this section in the Groundspeak Help Center concerning Log Deletion. Specifically, there is this statement:

Obscene and threatening language is a violation of our Terms of Use. The log can be deleted immediately. It may be better not to respond the log owner directly. If you wish, let Groundspeak know by submitting a request for assistance or emailing contact@geocaching.com.
    Now, "get the hell outta town" may not be "obscene" to some folks (and it may be to others), but it is definitely cursing and therefore not family-friendly. After all, would you want your 5-year old child or grandchild exposed to this language or, even worse, using it themselves?

You can always encrypt the log, as suggested by the Help Center. That may be a good interim action if you are uncomfortable with deleting the log. But I would contact Groundspeak and let them know about this situation. They can then contact this cacher and let him or her know that this is unacceptable behavior.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Yes good advice..contact groundspeak...and encrypt the log...they are the ultimate judge on this...and should be. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

I just read this person's logs...I cache better drunk?...Please Groundspeak susupend this account! Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

drmo913 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner View Post
    See this section in the Groundspeak Help Center concerning Log Deletion. Specifically, there is this statement:

Now, "get the hell outta town" may not be "obscene" to some folks (and it may be to others), but it is definitely cursing and therefore not family-friendly. After all, would you want your 5-year old child or grandchild exposed to this language or, even worse, using it themselves?

You can always encrypt the log, as suggested by the Help Center. That may be a good interim action if you are uncomfortable with deleting the log. But I would contact Groundspeak and let them know about this situation. They can then contact this cacher and let him or her know that this is unacceptable behavior.
    Excellent advice!
    +1

Well crap! I'm sure I've cussed in a log or two. Might not be the most lady-like behavior, but I kinda figured the ones that are too young to have never heard those words before can't read yet and really what child is going to be obsessed with reading other people's logs anyways? *shrug*. I try to use darn and heck and what not, but I'm sure I've slipped somewhere. And really everyone, even kids, know those are just substitute words.

As far as caching drunk, I don't think I've ever done that *squinting and trying to think back to caching in New Orleans*...nope pretty sure I got all those caches sober. But, not really illegal to cache drunk as long as he's not driving or peeing in public. As far as in the posting about being drunk, well goes back to my theory that those who are too young can't and/or aren't interested in reading all those logs.

I would encrypt and move on.
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

pshelto Guest

encrypt

Quote Originally Posted by guwisti View Post

I would encrypt and move on.
    Agreed. As an opposing view point, I don't particularly see anything offensive about the posts. I agree with other posts that this person probably won't cache for long anyways.

dcwalker30 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guwisti View Post
    But, not really illegal to cache drunk
    Public Intoxication and Drinking in Public

5-71-212(a) A person commits the offense of public intoxication if he appears in a public place manifestly under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to the degree and under circumstances such that he is likely to endanger himself or other persons or property, or that he unreasonably annoys persons in his vicinity. (c) A person commits the offense of drinking in public if that person consumes any alcoholic beverages in any public place, on any highway or street, or upon any passenger coach…or in or upon any vehicle commonly used for the transportation of passengers, or…other public place other than a place of business licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.