Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for non-geocaching related prayer requests, etc.

Ideas for non-geocaching related prayer requests, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder View Post
    Secondly, I think it is a great idea to set up a general forum category dedicated to "non-caching" needs of the geo-community (e.g., prayer requests, etc.). Some may disagree and feel like this hobby is strictly for lighthearted fun, but we are not Groundspeak. We have our own organization, and we can shape it as we see fit at a more local level. These are real friendships we are forging, even bordering on "family." It hit me several weeks ago as I was creating a contact list for my new DeLorme InReach PLB: "Who would aid me in an urgent situation out in the middle of nowhere? Who could even find me with just a set of coords? My geocaching friends, that's who." And I would do the same for any of our community if I were able to do so.
    Funny cc you should mention this as a while back I was waaaaay out in the boonies caching and munzeeing when my new truck got stuck ("Old Green" would have made it just fine ) and had to call a buddy to come get me out. Luckily I was still under the free trial subscription of OnStar because I had no cell service what so ever. Since he wasn't a geocacher or know anything about finding a location with coordinates I had to walk 2+ miles to the closest named road for him to find me. It would have been SOOOOO much easier to tell him I'm at such and such coords- come pull me out and me just sit back and relax and wait on him. That would be great to have both a special forum thread for prayers and other requests (that we maybe wouldn't want any random Joe on the facebook page) for members of the association. An addition to the phone a friend would be good if we could put something like "If you are down in Lower Arkansas and get stuck you can call arkfiremedic because he has a 4X4 truck, a chain and some rope to get you out if you need it" or know someone who could.

Let me share my "funny you should mention this" moment. While out caching with Mama and the girls, we had pulled up to a cemetery cache in a remote area of Marion county with the light of day having already departed. The "we can get just one more before heading home since we are this far out" conversation had already taken place. I put the MCU in park and shut off the engine. As I was only going to search for a short period of time I left the lights on to light my path in the general direction the gpsr was pointing. I'm sure you can already see where this is headed. Well you would be right. I looked just a little longer than I had intended and when I get back to the vehicle the lights flickered slightly and the engine would not crank. After a frustrating walk in the night to look for a house that was unfruitful and then an unfruitful call to Marion Co. Sheriff's dispatch, I call my oldest son to come out to rescue us (both of us using smartphones I was able to message him my coordinates for him to get to us.) Long story short after sitting for about 15 minutes, a car happened along and I was able to flag it down and to jump the battery and get us going before my son had to make a 40 mile round trip to rescue us. We got lucky.

So the point I am working around to is that I am in agreement with the line of thought here. The PAF list could be for more than just help on a particularly vexing cache. I for one would be willing to come to the aide of someone who is "stranded" while out and about or at least help them find aide. Being a teacher it might sometimes be difficult to get away but it also gives me connections as I am sure most of us have those "connections" in our lives. Coon&Bud and I are both music teachers and can attest to the power of our state organization for help and prayer in times of need.

For the record if anyone in the North Central Arkansas area (within a 50 mile radius of Mountain Home) needs assistance, just holler and I will do what I can to help out with a cache or otherwise. Number is in the PAF list.

Richard: I fill this is something worthy of talking about at our next Board meeting. Can we put it on the agenda??

Agreed! We are more than willing to come to the aide of anyone who needs us. I think this would be a great addition to the phone a friend database.

A short time ago I suggested a place be developed for us to share our prayer requests, support each other with help, and so forth. I am glad to see that this might actually be considered.

Kevin, there is ample contact information on the present PAF. One could tweak the spread to place individuals into regions of the state making the search for helpers more practical when you cache in that region. Could take this concept and ask those on the PAF if they were willing to participate in an ArkGeocache "AAA" of sorts... ?? BTW, the database has had little activity since the first of the year and soon may need updating.. Richard pushes for participation in the group at gatherings. Maybe he could "plug" participation in the PAF and to update one's contact info if pertinent??
    Last edited by SJClimber; 03-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Recently as I was dropping off into the unknown world of an evil Dr. Evil Cache in El Dorado, I was wishing I had brought my PAF list just in case I couldn't get back out. I managed to squeeze my fat gut back through without to much trouble but I was a little worried. It was a little after midnight though, I think AFM might have made me wait till morning.
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

A great idea. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

I stumbled across this today. 2 cachers who have passed recently. Not in Arkansas. They are sven or sven&cup or svengalie. His name was Steve Love. He had several geocaching spoilers on Youtube. He died in a house fire(you can read the details online). The other cacher is TXoilgas who has passed. I did not know either cacher. I have watched several of Steve Loves video's online. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

In the Hot Springs area, just give us a call and we are up for what ever type of rescue is needed....
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt