Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching Lesson for Bentonville Junior High Students

kfoerster Guest

Geocaching Lesson for Bentonville Junior High Students

I am a geography teacher in Bentonville at the 7th grade level. I have no experience with geocaching, but I think it would be engaging for students to hear about this from local geocachers. Do any of you know if there is an organization that might be interested in coming to our school to discuss the technology behind geocaching?

We may be able to help you with that or get you in touch the Northwest Arkansas group. I added it to the agenda to discuss at our quarterly meeting tomorrow.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

This would fall under the Community Relations Committee area.
    One cache at a time!

If the Arkansas Geocachers Association is truly to be THE gecoaching association for Arkansas, then it needs to help this group out and not farm it out to a more local group that has no association with ArkGeo. It seems that ArkGeo is overly focused on the central part of the state and not reaching out to the other corners of Arkansas. This would be a GREAT opportunity for that outreach!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

We are trying to support this via the Community Relations Committee. If anyone would like to join the committee and help out with this type of request, please reply to this thread and the Committee Chair or a Board Member will contact you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark~Griswold View Post
    We are trying to support this via the Community Relations Committee. If anyone would like to join the committee and help out with this type of request, please reply to this thread and the Committee Chair or a Board Member will contact you.
    Shouldn't any ArkGeo member be allowed to help out with something like this, without having to join a committee? I think the Committee should be responsible for checking into this request and then posting the information about it, like Who, Where, and When, and then asking for volunteers from the general membership. Of course, committee members could handle teaching the class, if they want. But I think there might be other members who would be willing to do this occasionally, but are unwilling to give their time to a standing committee due to other commitments. (Me, for example.)
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

The Community Relations Committee is on top of this. A private message has been sent to the teacher. Details will be ironed out and we will make this happen.

Thanks Pat

docfirewoman Guest
    If any help is needed I do a LOT of outreach work with schools and have done geocaching projects with Atkins MIddle school a few times. I could provide assistance if needed but I am not on any committee. Just offering to help

As per our previous PM - we will do our best to be available. Not on the committee, either... We just volunteer when needed.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt