Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work-around GC.com Mapping Conundrum

Work-around GC.com Mapping Conundrum

Well, have you all seen the maps on GC.com?? They are pitiful especially the MapQuest Aerial product. Apparently GC.com users hit Google Maps >2M times daily, so Google started charging for the use and GC.com had to find other products. Likely the slow loading is a server problem (so they say), but if you are running FireFox and have Greasemonkey, there is a script that brings you the old maps for your use.

Open Firefox - select the Tools drop down box, click on Add-ons

If you already have Greasemonkey installed, in add-ons manager on the left side of the page there should be a little monkey that says User Scripts next to it. Click on that. In the big box to the right in the upper left hand corner there should be a link that says Get user scripts.

When that page comes up, there is a search box on the right hand side that says Script Search. In that box type in "Geocaching.com extra map layers" omitting the quotes. There is an explanation of the script and the install button.

Hope this is of use..

I was going to make a post on this myself but you beat me to it.

The new maps are sooooo slowwwww and MapQuest Aerial is a joke. We need to go back to the old one some how.

Going back "ain't" happening unless GC.com becomes a purely fee for service site eliminating the non-paying "members" and, then, likely the premium members will see a fee increase just to keep Google Map services. So the discussion goes on Groundspeak Forums. As stated, GC.com cannot afford the fees to Google for present usage by the "members."
    Though the work-around above gets the maps, no one on Groundspeak Forum has said how it effects GC.com and it's relationship with Google, Bing, TOPO, etc.. Groundspeak initially cut the link to the script, then replaced it after some discussion. We'll see...

Not very computer savvy. What should happen after I hit the install button? All it is doing is opening another tab with all the script. What happens next?

Dang google, Don't they have enough money already!?!
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

dcwalker30 Guest

Thanks dcwalker!!!! After getting confused and maneuvering around the advertisements, I now have google maps back!

You're my hero. Thanks for posting this.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Thank You!