Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logging "Finds" for Non-existent Caches

Logging "Finds" for Non-existent Caches

This month, we had a find on one of our caches that had been not only disabled, but REMOVED a week prior!. Here's the log entry in question:

"Found the spot where the cache is and wasps come flying out every where. Saw a snake crossing the path to it as well. So could not sign the log. Now that I am home and logging my finds I see that you already no about the wasps and have dis-abled the cache. But going to try and log since I was there."

Should this bother me as much as it does?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

RuffRidr Guest

Re: Logging "Finds" for Non-existent Caches

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel
    This month, we had a find on one of our caches that had been not only disabled, but REMOVED a week prior!. Here's the log entry in question:

"Found the spot where the cache is, lifted up the thing and wasps come flying out every where. Saw a snake crossing the path to it as well. So could not sign the log. Now that I am home and logging my finds I see that you already no about the wasps and have dis-abled the cache. But going to try and log since I was there."

Should this bother me as much as it does?
    In this case I would send a polite email to them telling them that the cache had already been removed, so it was impossible to log. Then delete their log of the cache. Being there does not equal finding the cache in my book.

--RuffRidr

GEO Guest

I agree

I agree if it was disabled,I would e-mail them,politely, and then delete it as well.

jokingly in this log GEO*Trailblazer 1 says
    Otherwise I will get those over yonder that I walked by but they were gone,but thought I would try to log it anyhow .
    found(did not ) find a few of those .

I agree with everyone If its not there its not a find. If that was the case I would have alot more finds.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

southdeltan Guest
    It's more than possible that they found the cache while it was still there and just now got around to logging the find. If you're not used to logging finds AFTER the fact you may not notice that the GC.com website automatically selects "todays" date.

I'm not saying that's definetly the reason why, but it's a possiblity.

Where their any signs of wasps or a wasp nest?

sd

Quote Originally Posted by southdeltan
    It's more than possible that they found the cache while it was still there and just now got around to logging the find. If you're not used to logging finds AFTER the fact you may not notice that the GC.com website automatically selects "todays" date.

I'm not saying that's definetly the reason why, but it's a possiblity.

Where their any signs of wasps or a wasp nest?

sd
    Well, they logged several other caches in the area on the same date, so I have my doubts that this was a simple oversight. And, yes, the wasps were the reason that we disabled the cache in the first place.

Now, our philosophy on logging finds is simple, and (I think) most people would agree: If you don't sign the logbook, you can't claim it as a find. Yeah, I know it's just a game, and all that, but if we have people going around logging finds that they didn't really find, it gives the cache owners a false report of the status of the cache. (The same, I might add, is true for NOT logging a DNF when you DON'T find the cache, but that's a discussion for a different thread on a different day... )
    View my profile

nonnipoppy Guest
    I certainly agree that they did not find it. Additionally that looks like cheating to us, but the only ones hurt is them.

We have found caches we could not log due to wet logs but if we did not touch it knowing it was the cache it was not a find for us.

It is your cache and your decision.

The call is yours....poppy

In the case of a wet log I always leave my sticker somewhere in the cache so it shows that I was there this way I can log it as a find.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Problem solved!

I sent a cordial email and the cacher changed their log to a note.
    View my profile

RabidCat Guest
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the wesite......So am just going to jump in here and say that I think you did the right thing by telling them to change it.

I agree that if you don't touch/sign the log....then you didn't actually find it.

That would be like saying....Well I was in the area, so I will log it because I was close by.

That would bother me as well.