Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange container change

Brettp2004 Guest

Strange container change

I went out to check on one of my caches the other day and found something a little unusual. Without giving to much away, the thing holding the container in place broke so the "container" was laying on the ground. What is strange is that the container that was on the ground is not the container I placed there! However it is roughly the same kind of container it is in much worse shape than the one I had placed. All of the contents were transfered to this new container which is great. I'll replace cache containers sometimes (usually film cans) if they are broken or letting in water, but this container is one of the virtually industructable kind so I'm pretty sure the container was still in perfect working order. Maybe someone liked the paint job on it? Just wondering if anyone has any input.

Kind of odd, but it happens. I will usually tell someone in the log if their container was broke and I replaced it. Then, I will usually ask them if they want it back. I will only replace it if I have the same type of container too.

I have found them before that I thought this same thing had been done.

Maybe someone with no manners just really liked you cache container.

Brettp2004 Guest
    Thats what I'm thinking. Someone liked it more than I did.

Just be glad they replaced it with another container so you weren't getting a bunch of DNF's on the cache. I have had several go missing but usually they take the whole thing.

Brettp2004 Guest
    Another reason I thought it was strange is that I know the last person that logged a find on it, and when they found it it was the original container. So whoever switched containers didn't even log it as a find! Hmmm....

There are people with free phone app's that do not sign up for an account and have no idea what they are doing out there in our caches. I have changed my ones large enough for trackables to a Premium Member Only cache, as well as ones that are easy to mess up the location. This has slowed some of my problems. Sorry to do this to new cachers be I hope it keeps vanishing trackables and harder caches safe.

Brettp2004 Guest
    I thought about making some of my caches premium members only but I don't want to ignore non-premium cachers. Do you think that most cachers with over 100 finds are premium members? I would think so but don't know for sure. Most of the people I see finding mine have over 100 finds. Maybe I'll just do that for my new, large or more costly caches.

Actually - Free accounts can log premium caches without issue. At least they used to be able to. Visit the cache with your premium profile and then visit that URL with your basic account and you'll be able to log it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcackler View Post
    Actually - Free accounts can log premium caches without issue. At least they used to be able to. Visit the cache with your premium profile and then visit that URL with your basic account and you'll be able to log it.
    Have not been able to do this with 2ters free account either. I have went as far as logging into the premium cache, logged out after I've gotten the premium info and logged right back in with her free account. Won't work. I refuse to pay two premium fees each year so she can log premium caches. After a day long premium cache only hunt in Northern Louisiana two years ago, another NELGA member wanted to see her logs since we had so much fun. We tried every way humanly possible without success. He then purchased her a year gift membership for 2ter and only then she could log them. The premium account has since expired and her cheapskate dad didn't renew it.

?? Really? My dad is semi into geocaching and has logged a few premium caches that he found with us...or at least I thought he did. Now I need to go look through his logs and figure out if I'm making this all up.