Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an Idea

dlevans Guest

Need an Idea

Anyone have a good solution of a waterproof container that will a)float and b)fit loosely in a 1 3/4" PVC pipe?

Apparently baby coke bottles wont cut it.

Waterproof matchstick containers, in the camping area at Wal-mart. Have you tried those?

On one of our caches we tried everything we could think of (including those boxes that are supposed to be waterproof) and nothing stayed dry inside. Wish we could help.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

I've got a 16mm plastic test tube that I use that I think is pretty good. I know before I started putting them out, mainly on the Ferndale to Paron trail, I sunk one under water in the sink for about 48 hours and it didn't leak. I'm just not sure how they are after being opened a bunch of times if they remain leak free. If you want a couple, I'll be glad to give you a few to try or test for yourself. Let me know, surely we can find someone that works in Little Rock and lives in Conway that can make connections with you there in Conway.

dcwalker30 Guest
    Baby Soda Bottle?

dlevans Guest
    I've always heard them called baby soda bottle, but they are technically pre-formed soda bottles - this one in particular, I think, is a 16-ozpreform soda bottle.jpg

It is water-tight, but doesn't seem to want to float. Too much dense plastic-to-air ratio.

There is a larger BSB that will float. I've bought about 200 off of an online science web site and I believe they will work for your needs. These are the two liter pre-forms.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/test-tubes

We have a few of the large baby soda bottles in the club store, (which is currently in the back seat of my car!).

And Tim is right here in Comway. That is handy. The larger ones will float. Biggest problem for waterproofing is getting finders to put the lid back on tight, but not so tight it won't come back off.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA534 View Post
    We have a few of the large baby soda bottles in the club store, (which is currently in the back seat of my car!).
    Many apologies!

I forgot ArkGeo sold the larger ones!