Thread: January 2012 Geocacher Profile

January 2012 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought the Immediate Past President of ArkGeo, David Spicer aka Paris1time, should be the second cacher to be in the spotlight.
    What is your geocaching name? paris1time

How did you choose your handle? I work in law enforcement and I once went to a class on "gangs" and learned that in the neighborhoods of some the large cities that have gang problems the gangs would call the police the "One Time". They called them that because they felt that they would only see a police car patrol through the bad neighborhood one time during their shift. Since I worked for the Paris Police Department at the time I choose the name "paris1time" when signing up with Geocaching.com.

How long have you been geocaching? I found my first cache on April 13th, 2006.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it? The first cache I found was Sunset from a Short Mountain (GCTXGW). At the time it was the closest cache to my house so we went to search for it first. I have to say that we had a tough time finding it at first and was about to give up when I checked the coordinates in my GPSr and found that I had put the wrong coordinates into my GPSr. After putting in the correct coordinates we found the cache and was hooked. I now use a cable to send coordinates to my GPSr and I use a photo taken at the first cache as my avatar on Geocaching.com.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? Anyone that wants to go! I have gone with my wife, my family, my friends, youth groups (Church, Scouts, and 4-H), and by myself a few times.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up? Just like any cache if I want to find it I never give up!

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in? Clarksville and Searcy. I cut my geocaching teeth on finding caches hidden in Clarksville and I have went to Searcy to find some great caches there too.

Do you do paperless caching? Yes. I once had a PDA and had Cachemate on it to go paperless. I had a Blackberry phone for a while and had Cacheberry on it. I now have a Droid X and downloaded the Geocaching.com app to go paperless. What I like about it is that I can do a Pocket Query on my computer and then it will automatically be on my phone to save there without having to go through a bunch of steps. I also use my phone to post field notes to log my finds later.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use? The cachemobile is a Ford Escape most of the time.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching? It is a hobby/sport/game that anyone from anywhere can play. It will take you to places that you have never been before and most of all geoachers are some of the greatest people you would ever want to meet. I have my family, my church family, and my geocaching family. I can rely on them all to be there when I need them.

Where are you originally from? I have live in Logan County all of my life. I lived between Subiaco and Scranton until I was married in 1992 and then moved to Paris.

In what states you have geocached? Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Illinois, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee.

What was your first event ever attended? This 1time in Paris... GXZFTY. I have to add it was the first event to attend and host. We were wanting to meet other geocachers and at that time there were only one or two events a year, so we hosted an event in January of 2007 and have hosted an event the 2nd Saturday of January every year since.

How many caches have you found? As of 12/20/11 I have found 838.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? Event caches! I love events and they are my favorite, but after that is traditional caches.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? I haven't had the chance to find any caches I would call famous (i.e. Mingo), but I did find Jailhouse Rock GC3F7 that was at Graceland in Memphis.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Disposable.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? Tough question. I love both.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide? At first it was just to have a hide to let another cacher make a find, but now my goal is for the cache to either take a cacher to a cool place or to be unique from other caches.

What is you favorite type of cache hide? Cemetery caches. My wife and I love them. They usually have great stories behind the hides and we usually see some interesting head stones.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in? It is probably Mission X: The Lost Mission GC35K7P. I gave it a Project A.P.E. cache twist and put the most work I have ever put into a cache to date. Also as of this date it has 17 favorite points from cachers.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh? I say hide all you want and find all you want.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? I was home from work while my wife was working. It was March 2006 and the Lodge at Mt. Magazine State Park was about to open. I was looking at their web site to see what they had to offer for visitors to do. I saw something called "geocaching" and had no idea what it was. I clicked on the link and it took me to Geocaching.com. I read about it and it looked like a lot of fun, so I called my wife and told her to look at the web site too. She called me back later and said it looked like fun to her too. The rest as they say is history...

What's your favorite geocache? Illuminating Louis GC1FP4M is my favorite. It has just the right balance of everything, plus it is well made and cool.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching? Everywhere!

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? Group, the more the merrier!

How many First to Finds do you have? I have no idea for sure, maybe 8. I don't usually go for a FTF.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? I am not a FTF person, but I do have notifications set up to let me know about new caches around home.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching? There are other hobbies? Not really. I don't hunt and I don't fish. I do enjoy joining my son with Cub Scouts. I am also a kid at heart and love video games and movies.

Thanks for taking the time to let people in on the Mystique that is Paris1time!! Kidding you know.

I really enjoy these threads. Thanks MR committee for taking the time to do this.

We had the pleasure of meeting Paris1time at the 2011 Cachemania event. Awesome guy and he puts on a heck of an event. Thanks for featuring him in the geocachers profile!
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

Speaking of Great events in Paris....

Don't forget to make it there in 2 weekends for Cache Ca$h Dash Bash MMXII

and something called The Geocaching Game Show 2012 later that night!

Both of these put on by Paris1time. If you have never been, do yourself a favor and be there!

Paris1time is a pleasure to know. A his family is great to help out at the big Paris event. If you can make the Paris event in two weeks you will have a great time.

Another nice insight into a true friend of Geo-caching... Paris1time! He and his family goes way out of there way to put on a great event everyear for everyone to come from far and wide to enjoy! So if you haven't made a event in Paris yet, make plans to come see what you have been missing out on Jan. 14th! Thanks again for the ongoing series of spotlighting area cachers.
    jim white

One of these days I plan on attending a Paris Event! Since I have been caching and going to events I always work both the Friday before and the Sunday after so really no way I can make it to Paris by 09:00 when I don't get off until 08:00. On another note, it is a small world. One of my co-workers at the fire department was asking me if I knew another police officer by the name of David Spicer. I laughed and told him I didn't know him through the police academy, but I actually knew him through geocaching! My co-worker was one of David's students in a class last semester...

i met paris1time in the lobby of the Paris PD. geo-j would NOT get out of the vehicle to look for that cache, cause he didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to ask the police dept to let them hide a cache there!

Another fact about p1t: He takes good care of those he comes in contact with through his officer-ing.

My last good fact about David: HE HAS AN AWESOME RING TONE ON HIS PHONE!!!!

drmo913 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpdenton View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to let people in on the Mystique that is Paris1time!! Kidding you know.

I really enjoy these threads. Thanks MR committee for taking the time to do this.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

"Mystique".

*chuckles