Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logs

Logs

We have read a lot of logs since we have started geocaching in 2004. Because we are human, we have identified some of our favorite log writers and sometimes we want to hit the delete button when we receive some cacher's logs. We do appreciate those that take the extra effort to say more than just TFTC. Yesterday, we received calls at 5:30 am and 8 pm from cachers who were searching for two of our caches that had not been found. One cacher in their zeal to record an FTF did not acknowledge our assistance or express his appreciation for the cache. Not even the weak TFTC on his log. The other cacher reported mbl's assistance in locating the cache and added thanks for the cache to the log. So which log do you think gave us pleasure for placing the cache? We are wise enough to know we are not going to change the world so we leave you with these thoughts:

The pen is the tongue of the mind.
    Miguel de Cervantes

I don't pretend we have all the answers. But the questions are certainly worth thinking about.
    Arthur C. Clarke

A writer doesn't solve problems. He allows them to emerge.
    Friedrich Dürrenmatt

Writers seldom write the things they think. They simply write the things they think other folks think they think.
    Elbert Hubbard
    Last edited by rklmbl; 12-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.

I think an great AR Geocacher once said "Geocaches are like people. Some are pretty, some are not. Some are exciting, some aren't. Some are creative and some are a little dull. But like people, we can always find something nice to say if we put a little effort into it. After all, it's people who read the logs we leave behind and our words have the ability to make someone's day or ruin it."

I too have read many, many logs over the past year & a half. On caches I've found, on caches I DNF'd & on caches I haven't even been to yet. I also have read many great ones & seen plenty of TFTC's. There is one log in particular though that always stood out in my mind. I haven't been able to forget it, since I read it back in March of this year.

GC2QBRG - Ferndale to Paron Cache Trail - #1

"We want to thank ronwhite for this series from Ferndale to Paron and/or vice versa. We do regret doing this entire series in one afternoon. And we wouldn't have done it if there had been an event nearby this weekend. We would have saved these caches for people coming into the area for the event to try for the FTF. However, the whoopteedoo FTF hounds, cut and paste logs, TFTC logs, logs with nothing there at all done from smartphones, et al, have changed our attitude about many of our fellow geocachers. Whatever happened to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?? We see these changes coming from many younger and new geocachers who apparently have no respect for the game and the history of geocaching. We predict that this will slowly kill the game. We apologize for the rant but, as you know, we have read a lot of logs scattered over Arkansas and elsewhere. But, we will continue to support Arkansas geocaching and do the best job we can on placing caches and writing good logs and holding events."

My prediction: What will slowly kill this game are veteran cachers making new cachers feel unwelcome.

Signed: A Retired Whoopteedoo FTF Hound

Disclaimer: If anyone else feels I'm out of line, feel free to tell me.

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. ~Winston Churchill

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. ~Maya Angelou

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway.
    You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Criticism and pessimism destroy families, undermine institutions of all kinds,
    defeat nearly everyone, and spread a shroud of gloom over entire nations. ~Gordon B. Hinckley

ALWAYS REMEMBER... Geocaching is supposed to be FUN!
    Last edited by Mickey McGillicutty; 01-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfans55 View Post
    Disclaimer: If anyone else feels I'm out of line, feel free to tell me.
    You are.

I agree with rklmbl. If a geocacher calls them for help in order to secure a FTF (especially at 0530!), they ought to at least thank the CO's for their efforts in placing the cache. It's called "good manners", which I guess many who log their finds using smartphones no longer have (and maybe they never had them). And if someone gets upset on being "called out on cache etiquette", I think that says more about them and their inability to accept feedback and constructive criticism, rather than the one providing the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfans55 View Post
    I have 1 question & I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions.

1: What does it say about an organization, like ArkGeo, that one of it's Board members says publicly, that the younger, newer generation of cachers will "slowly kill the game", based solely on the fact that our cache logs don't live up to his standards?

It is interesting that the focus of your comments are in regard to a log on Geocaching.com, and not comments voiced here in these Forums. So I'm not sure why ArkGeo would be concerned. Is the organization supposed to review the logs of every one of its Board members and police them? And should it be limited to just the Board members? Why not every member of ArkGeo? After all, wouldn't it reflect badly on the organization if any one of its members voiced their critical opinion publicly in one of their cache logs?

Unless the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution has been revoked, rklmbl are entitled to their opinions and free to voice them, even here in these Forums, regardless of the fact that one of them is on the ArkGeo Board.

"What? Me worry?" -- Alfred E. Neuman

"Where's the beef?" -- Alfred G. Packer

"HO! HO! HO!" -- S. Claus

"I like a good debate!" -- O. R. Runner
    Last edited by OldRiverRunner; 12-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

My take on geocaching is simple. My take on ArkGeo is simple. I love to cache. Some members of this organization seem to disagree with me on my take on ArkGeo. My take is this: This is a hobby for me. This is an opportunity for my daughter and I to spend 'quality' family time away from the computer, television, and any other distractions associated with the daily rat race. I cache to be outside and enjoy places I've never been before. I LOVE meeting people, especially other geocachers, while out on the trail. I LOVE to read a good log and enjoy writing good logs (my opinion only- you don't have to tell me if you disagree). I LOVE meet and greets. I have graciously been invited to peoples homes for socializing and have invited geocachers to my home to socialize and enjoyed that. The part of this sport I don't like is the politicing that is associated with geocaching and ArkGeo. I have politics associated with work, church, and other parts of my life. I have refused to 'run' for board positions for this simple reason. I love to cache. I dislike the politics and antics that seem to arise from time to time. I am involved in other geocaching organizations. One in particular in NELA has only an open forum. No president, Vice- president, etc. No dues are paid. No elections. No disputes. No lengthy discussions and multiple committee involvement on things that should be obvious. It is what it is, a forum for people who love to geocache. My wish for the new year for ArkGeo is that we all get along. We have been divided, in my opinion, over the last couple of years on disputes, like this. Our membership cannot grow because of things like this. If I was a new geocacher and registered the FIRST thread I would go to would be geocaching in Arkansas. The first thread would be this particular thread. Think I would hang around and "become a voting member after seeing this?" Of course we all know the answer.

I love to cache! - Justin D. Murphree 2011
    I hate politics! - Justin D. Murphree 2011
    I love the friends I have made in geocaching, including all the previous who have posted in this thread and value each and every one of those friendships I have made over the years I've been geocaching. - Justin D. Murphree 2011
    I hate politics! - Justin D. Murphree 2011
    This is a hobby- let us never forget. Justin D. Murphree 2011

One of my favorite parts of this game is to sit right here at my computer and log my finds. I enjoy doing that almost as much as finding them. I use a phone as a GPS and it allows me to do paperless caching, but I have noticed that most "newbies" like me that use a phone, tend to log their finds with it instead of posting them as a field note. Newbies also like to use acronyms so that they look less like newbies, they feel "big" because they know what TFTC and SL means. As a log owner I want to know every little detail about your find. I want to know what your were wearing and if you had to go pee or not. O.K. maybe thats too much information, but seriously I can see where RKLMBL are coming from. So far I have been lucky enough so that all my finders have done really well, but I will be dissapointed when I get the TFTC's. But in reading RKLMBL's post it seems to me the main issue is the fact that they give help and someone didn't acknowledge it. Take geocaching completely out of the mix and thats just plain rude. As far as newbies go, they just don't know sometimes what to do. I introduced my brother to geocaching before I even started Caching and he found several Caches signing them with his actual name. He didn't even know there was a website. Maybe when someone downloads the APP they should be forced to watch a video before ever seeing their first coordinates. When I first started I was telling everybody I knew or met about geocaching, but after seeing how some people go about it, I find myself not sharing near as much. I guess I'm selfish. I do love to play this game though. I love to work for hours and days on a Cache trying to solve a puzzle, or searching for that little nano that you know is there because someone just found it. Then I love the feeling of "how come I didn't see that before" and "I looked right at it" I love watching my daughters eyes light up when she finds it before I do. I love finding it before my wife does, and I love it when she beats me to it. We have only been GeoCaching for about 6 months, and already I have made friends, maybe after this post some enemy's. Bottom line I Love this game. I love the way it should be played, and when I see people post logs like they don't really care I don't like it. I want them to love this game like I do. I want them to 'want' to post a good log to tell me how much fun they had finding the log that I am searching for, or hid. I like to go back and look at logs on Caches that I have found and see if other people had just as much fun as I did finding it. Unfortunately not everyone is going to do that, and I will have to be O.K. with that, I guess.
    Thats my two cents. And I should probably get change back!

I think but nothing happens. Curly Fine

Sometimes when I close my eyes I can't see. unknown

A word to the wise ain't necessary, its the stupid ones that need the advice. Bill Cosby

Daddy, is it a micro or a Box? My son every time we start looking for a Cache he's 3
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

Rklmbl can correct me if I am wrong about this, but I believe the cacher whose log prompted this thread is a veteran cacher, NOT a newbie. I also believe the log was NOT submitted from a smartphone, so I shouldn't have even brought that up in my other posting (although I do think the use of smartphones to post logs contributes to the lack of quality in many logs).
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

ORR, you are correct.

We recently had some logs on a few of our caches that simply said F. Don't know for sure what exactly that means, guess it could be several things. Think I would much rather see TFTC than just the letter F. I know I sure do enjoy reading the logs that people write when they find our caches. Before we hid any caches, I never put much thought into the log writing, now I realize what it means to the cache owner to be able to enjoy reading the logs. I have tried to improve my logs since then, I hope I am doing a better job. I do know that I would not be happy if someone called me at 5:30 in the morning to get a hint, and then did not even acknowledge it. All I have to say about the response on this thread is that I was always taught that just because you don't agree with what someone says it doesn't make it right to try to start an argument to prove your point. You can keep it to yourself and try to get along with others. After all, this world would very dull if we were all just alike and thought just alike. We have a good thing going here with geocaching, we are all going to have different opinions, why can't we just keep them to ourselves without doing this on the forum threads for everyone to read.

Ashallond Guest
    flyfishingcachers, I can probably answer the questions about the 'F' logs.

On the iphone app (and i assume android and Windows7 versions as well) you are no longer allowed to write a field note with a blank comment section. Since I enjoy writing logs, and don't want to write them right then on the fly I'll jot down initials of things I want to expand on later. If I don't have anything specific, quirky, or trackable related I'll just put in an 'F' for found and then field note it to expand later when I get home.

Sometimes though....I accidentally hit the publish log choice instead of save as field note. I think I caught all of mine that I did that. It's very likely that someone else also has that same mentality with the smartphone field notes that I do. If any of those F logs are mine, please let me know. I assure you they weren't intentional.

Arkfiremedic has also exactly summed up my feelings in general as well. I went into lurk mode for a while due to comments and politics that I ran into on this board.

We aren't exactly the most friendly group to new cachers who we don't know in person on this board. I still think communication can be improved.but we need to find that happy middle.

"I don't do quotes" - Ashallond.

Just a game that I have fun doing. You have to take a log for what it's worth. It was what the finder wanted to place in the log, nothing more. Plain and simple. It is just like holding a door for someone or saying excuse me. Not everybody does it and you don't have to agree with them. Just move on to the next minute in your life. I personally like writing a few lines in my logs but don't get upset one bit with a TFTC, SL, ., or anything else the cache finder wants to place in my caches. I place my caches for enjoyment of the finder not self gratification. But with all that said I have never found a geocacher that I didn't like. We are a small community and we need to stick together and have FUN!!!!! I hope this thread get's laid to rest and we continue to be able to have fun at events as they are intended. Thanks for reading... left wife to check my grammer.