Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Logs

Quote Originally Posted by Ashallond View Post

We aren't exactly the most friendly group to new cachers who we don't know in person on this board. I still think communication can be improved.but we need to find that happy middle.

"I don't do quotes" - Ashallond.
    As a new Cacher I disagree with this statement, We were very well recieved on here. I have not had any problems with anyone. We have always thought that everyone was extremely nice on here and out in the field as well. Most of the "discussions" I've seen here have been between Cachers that already know each other. It seems that with just one simple statement, everyone can get their Dander up. Thats what a forum is for though. It's a place we can discuss what we think. Everyone is entitled to speak their mind.

Oh and I love your quote! I LOL'ed out loud.
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

Ashallond, they weren't yours. I double checked before I made the post on this forum. They haven't been edited yet. Thanks for explaining.

I've been blessed to have such great logs from several of you and I hope to return the favor once I branch out. To your areas, I got a round of cut and paste logs recently and it's kind of like a slap in the face on those caches you worked extra hard for the finders pleasure. I enjoy returning the favor but most simple finds don't have much room for a juicy log but, putting a little effort into your post isn't hard so there isn't much excuse. Many times i've went back through my caches and reread logs, it's half the fun of geocaching, as rewarding as finding one yourself.
    Im a geo -junkie and i need my fix!

Deep down I know that this is "just a game", but then so is Razorback athletics. Geocaching is one of my favorite hobbies, and I am passionate about it. I know that others may only be casual players, so I try not to get upset with log posts, but rather try to look at it as a good sign, that all must be well with the cache, which helps me avoid cache maintenance problems, and aids the next cache hunter in knowing that the cache hasn't disappeared. I strive to write something worthwhile in my posts, even if all I want to add is an angry emoticon. The truth is if I had more skill as a cache hunter, then maybe I wouldn't be so sore . I can think of three things that rub me the wrong way, worse than the log post issue, and those are (1) misinformation from crappy D/T ratings; (2) inappropriate hides; and (3) the lack of appropriate clues. But those are debates for another thread. On a recent episode of Podcacher, Sonny pointed out a techie survey in which the stand-alone GPS receiver was predicted to be the most likely gadget to become obsolete within twenty years...simply because it will be integrated with the minicomputer smartphone. The desktop PC was also on that list. Therefore, in Generation "i", I see more folks hunting caches via the app, and the state of log posts deteriorating as it becomes more commonplace to butcher the English language with lazy, bad grammar and ridiculous OMG-LOL-ROFLs. I'm not sure if noobs are slowly killing the game or if it is already dead as we know it. I can certainly remember the game ten years ago, and I was just thinking yesterday what a rare and beautiful thing it is to hide an ammo can in the woods. But I wouldn't trade those days for the fun that I have now with the variety of other cache hides.

As far as the veteran cacher's behavior, especially in an FTF hunt, shame on you. I hope I never find out who it was. You take what is given to you when hunting FTFs and you certainly don't bother the CO at 0530! Remember, you are beta-testing! No wonder some cachers are disgusted with the behavior of FTF hounds.

This is an interesting thread dealing with a frustrating issue. Likely the initial complaint “boils down” to etiquette and decent, courteous behavior. Within a community as this, most individuals will not act as that individual described by MBL. Yet there are outliers in any group. Yep, the MBL scenario is irritating, but not much one can do about the behavior, just delete the log and go on. On the other hand, consider the positive responses in the thread. There is still a core of folks who write descriptive, fun logs and those are what we enjoy reading. We all know these individuals and appreciate the time they take when logging a find, thanks..

DaTexanBoy Guest
    I admit, when I first started, I didn't write very good logs. The one thing that changed me and my logs were hiding my first cache. After the first couple TFTC, it made me evaluate the quality of my own logs. Since then, I have always strived to write a decent log even if the cache is a simple redman or skirt lifter. There is always something interesting to write. You may not think it is as the finder, but to put the cache owner in the mind set of being there as you are finding it....to me is a small treat to the CO. As far as getting awoken at 0530 hrs for a FTF, I probably would have hung up the phone....if I didnt normally get up at that time anyway. I don't look for great logs to be done on my caches, but when there is a good log, it makes it even that more special and appreciated.

rus Guest
    Just realized that I was the "F" logger. As stated before, it happened when using the geocachimg app on my phone. I put a "F" as a note to myself that I found the cache without any problems or issues. Those were supposed to just go to my fiel notes for editing later, but instead I guess I had selected the "post as log" instead. Touchscreens on these iPhones are so sensitive, I probably just "swiped" the wrong thing. Nothing personal or any reflection of the caches I found. Simply on oversight.

No problems with us on the postings. I know that I am technically challenged at times by some of these new gagets we all seem to have and want now days. They aren't making them any easier to use!!!

Well, I sure did start a discussion. Couple of things, I wanted to clear up. I love politics... just not in GC'ing. So even though I knew this would spark a debate, I didn't do so with the intent of being political within ArkGeo. Also, I'm not suggesting ArkGeo be responsible for policing cache logs, ORR. I agree with you entirely, that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that voicing one's opinion doesn't necessarily reflect the views of the whole organization. You may not agree with me, but I think voicing that sentiment, is counter-productive to ArkGeo's stated mission "to promote and improve the quality of Geocaching in Arkansas & maintaining Geocaching as a family-friendly activity." I'm simply pointing out how I perceived the comments & how it may be perceived by other cachers.

I always thought FTF's were part of the game. A new cache published & everyone races to see who gets there first. Sometimes meeting up with fellow cachers & sharing the experience of finding the cache. So I don't understand why anyone criticizes people for playing for the FTF's. I don't bother with them myself anymore, because it's too time consuming. But I don't begrudge anyone else who still enjoys rushing out to find a blank log sheet.

It's not fun, for me though, as part of the "younger, newer cachers" to read that the way I might play the game will slowly kill GC'ing. Imagine if the situation were reversed. What if I said publicly, "Man the older veteran cachers just don't get it. If they don't change their ways, GC'ing will disappear."

One last thing & I'll leave it at that. GC'ing IS supposed to be fun & it IS just a game. Everyone reading this I'm sure agrees with that. That's the overall point I'm trying to make. There are days when I feel like writing a novel & days when it's "copy/paste, TFTC!" I'd like to think everyone would be happy/content with the fact that we're all still playing the game & not worry so much about the details.

Have convictions. Be friendly. Stick to your beliefs as they stick to theirs. Work as hard as they do. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Merry Christmas to all & Happy New Year! ~Mike

Oh yeah, almost forgot, getting a PAF call at 5:30am IS completely ridiculous. Who calls anyone that early for a hint?
    Last edited by Mickey McGillicutty; 01-17-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Think it's time to let this die!! This is not good for geocaching at all!