Thread: Geocaching.com Search Question

dcwalker30 Guest

Geocaching.com Search Question

I'm currently working on completing an Alphanumeric Challenge, GC2KW6V by fellow ArkGeo member Ashallond. I've completed a lot more than I thought already, but I've run into a problem.

I cannot find a way to search the website for caches that begin with a designated letter or number. Is this possible? For example, I still need a cache that begins with an "X". I was hoping that maybe "X*" would work, but it returns zero results since it searches for that exact phrase. For that same reason, searching for "X" doesn't work either.

Am I missing something on the website or is there really no way to search for all caches that start with an "X" nearest my home location? Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide!

dcwalker30 Guest
    Quick Update, I found this in their Feedback section. If you agree with the original poster and would like to see this kind of functionality added to geocaching.com, post a comment and cast a vote (or 2, or 3!) Thanks all!

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forum...at-start-with-

I don't know of a way to use the GC.com website to sort in alphabetical order, but if you are a GSAK user, you can easily sort your list alphabetically there.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

dcwalker30 Guest
    No, I need to perform a search that will return all caches that begin with a designated letter or number. So all caches that start with 'X' or '3', etc. It would also be nice if those search results could be centered on a designated location, whether that be an address, or your home location, etc.

The link in the 2nd post is to a feedback suggestion on the GC.com website requesting that functionality. I left a comment and cast a vote. Hopefully other people will want the same functionality and it will be implemented at some point

I see what you're saying though, do a PQ for all caches within X miles and then sort in GSAK to search for the #/Letter. In the meantime I'll go with that. Thanks ORR!

Grab the new beta version of gsak if your not a paid user yet....http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showforum=36 You have to download the gsak 8 first and then the last iteration on the last page to fix the bugs, but WOW it is amazing at the interactivity that groundspeak allowed with gsak this time.

dcwalker30 Guest
    I'm not a paid user yet, would I still be able to take advantage of the new version?