Thread: Geocaching.com Search Question

Geocaching.com Search Question

I'm currently working on completing an Alphanumeric Challenge, GC2KW6V by fellow ArkGeo member Ashallond. I've completed a lot more than I thought already, but I've run into a problem.

I cannot find a way to search the website for caches that begin with a designated letter or number. Is this possible? For example, I still need a cache that begins with an "X". I was hoping that maybe "X*" would work, but it returns zero results since it searches for that exact phrase. For that same reason, searching for "X" doesn't work either.

Am I missing something on the website or is there really no way to search for all caches that start with an "X" nearest my home location? Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide!
    title=The Daily Cacher:  Awarded for having 7 or more consecutive days with finds  |  dcwalker30 has 366 and needs 0 to go up a leveltitle=The Calendar Cacher:  Awarded for having found a cache on 100 or more different dates  |  dcwalker30 has 366 and needs 0 to go up a leveltitle=The Author:  Awarded for having an average log length of 30 words  |  dcwalker30 has approximately 150 words/log and needs 0 to go up a leveltitle=The Busy Cacher:  Awarded for finding 20 or more caches in a single day  |  dcwalker30 has 124 and needs 180 to go up a leveltitle=The Brainiac:  Awarded for finding 2 or more Difficulty 5 caches  |  dcwalker30 has 12 and needs 3 to go up a leveltitle=The Long-Distance Cacher:  Awarded for finding a cache at least 1000 km from home  |  dcwalker30 has geocached 2089km from home and needs to geocache 2900km to go up a leveltitle=The Matrix Cacher:  Awarded for finding 20 caches with unique Difficulty/Terrain ratings  |  dcwalker30 has 49 and needs 1 to go up a leveltitle=The United States Cacher:  Awarded for finding caches in a percentage of states in United States  |  dcwalker30 has 20% (10 of 50 states) and needs 10% more to go up a leveltitle=The Micro Cacher:  Awarded for finding 200 or more micro sized cache containers  |  dcwalker30 has 497 and needs 3 to go up a leveltitle=The Geocacher:  Awarded for finding 500 or more geocaches (any type)  |  dcwalker30 has 735 and needs 265 to go up a leveltitle=The Traditional Cacher:  Awarded for finding 400 or more Traditional type caches  |  dcwalker30 has 683 and needs 317 to go up a leveltitle=The Large Cacher:  Awarded for finding 3 or more large sized cache containers  |  dcwalker30 has 4 and needs 6 to go up a leveltitle=The Caching Veteran:  Awarded for finding a cache in 3 different years  |  dcwalker30 has 3 and needs 1 to go up a leveltitle=The Shutterbug:  Awarded for a photo gallery count of 50 or more photos  |  dcwalker30 has 56 and needs 19 to go up a leveltitle=The Travel Bug:  Awarded for moving/discovering 50 Travel Bugs  |  dcwalker30 has 77 and needs 23 to go up a level

Quick Update, I found this in their Feedback section. If you agree with the original poster and would like to see this kind of functionality added to geocaching.com, post a comment and cast a vote (or 2, or 3!) Thanks all!

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forum...at-start-with-
    title=The Daily Cacher:  Awarded for having 7 or more consecutive days with finds  |  dcwalker30 has 366 and needs 0 to go up a leveltitle=The Calendar Cacher:  Awarded for having found a cache on 100 or more different dates  |  dcwalker30 has 366 and needs 0 to go up a leveltitle=The Author:  Awarded for having an average log length of 30 words  |  dcwalker30 has approximately 150 words/log and needs 0 to go up a leveltitle=The Busy Cacher:  Awarded for finding 20 or more caches in a single day  |  dcwalker30 has 124 and needs 180 to go up a leveltitle=The Brainiac:  Awarded for finding 2 or more Difficulty 5 caches  |  dcwalker30 has 12 and needs 3 to go up a leveltitle=The Long-Distance Cacher:  Awarded for finding a cache at least 1000 km from home  |  dcwalker30 has geocached 2089km from home and needs to geocache 2900km to go up a leveltitle=The Matrix Cacher:  Awarded for finding 20 caches with unique Difficulty/Terrain ratings  |  dcwalker30 has 49 and needs 1 to go up a leveltitle=The United States Cacher:  Awarded for finding caches in a percentage of states in United States  |  dcwalker30 has 20% (10 of 50 states) and needs 10% more to go up a leveltitle=The Micro Cacher:  Awarded for finding 200 or more micro sized cache containers  |  dcwalker30 has 497 and needs 3 to go up a leveltitle=The Geocacher:  Awarded for finding 500 or more geocaches (any type)  |  dcwalker30 has 735 and needs 265 to go up a leveltitle=The Traditional Cacher:  Awarded for finding 400 or more Traditional type caches  |  dcwalker30 has 683 and needs 317 to go up a leveltitle=The Large Cacher:  Awarded for finding 3 or more large sized cache containers  |  dcwalker30 has 4 and needs 6 to go up a leveltitle=The Caching Veteran:  Awarded for finding a cache in 3 different years  |  dcwalker30 has 3 and needs 1 to go up a leveltitle=The Shutterbug:  Awarded for a photo gallery count of 50 or more photos  |  dcwalker30 has 56 and needs 19 to go up a leveltitle=The Travel Bug:  Awarded for moving/discovering 50 Travel Bugs  |  dcwalker30 has 77 and needs 23 to go up a level

I don't know of a way to use the GC.com website to sort in alphabetical order, but if you are a GSAK user, you can easily sort your list alphabetically there.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"When you go to hide a geocache, think of the reason you are bringing people to that spot. If the only reason is for the geocache, then find a better spot." briansnat

No, I need to perform a search that will return all caches that begin with a designated letter or number. So all caches that start with 'X' or '3', etc. It would also be nice if those search results could be centered on a designated location, whether that be an address, or your home location, etc.

The link in the 2nd post is to a feedback suggestion on the GC.com website requesting that functionality. I left a comment and cast a vote. Hopefully other people will want the same functionality and it will be implemented at some point

I see what you're saying though, do a PQ for all caches within X miles and then sort in GSAK to search for the #/Letter. In the meantime I'll go with that. Thanks ORR!

Grab the new beta version of gsak if your not a paid user yet....http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showforum=36 You have to download the gsak 8 first and then the last iteration on the last page to fix the bugs, but WOW it is amazing at the interactivity that groundspeak allowed with gsak this time.

Crow Mountain Crafts FB Page

I'm not a paid user yet, would I still be able to take advantage of the new version?