Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exciting TB ventures.

When you mark a tb or coin missing and it shows back up , does it just go back in your inventory? I have a coin that is not in the cache it is logged into and people post on there that i should log it missing to get it out of inventory. Should I???

Quote Originally Posted by Jffok View Post
    When you mark a tb or coin missing and it shows back up , does it just go back in your inventory? I have a coin that is not in the cache it is logged into and people post on there that i should log it missing to get it out of inventory. Should I???
    Either the cache owner or the the trackable owner should mark the trackable as missing if it is pretty clear that the trackable is no longer in the cache. I have done this myself for trackables that have gone missing from my caches, and for my own trackables that have disappeared from another's cache. If someone eventually logs the trackable again, then it will show back up in your inventory. This has happened on one of my TBs.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

dcwalker30 Guest
    Would making a habit of only placing TBs in "Member Only" caches help keep them in circulation? Or are members just as likely as non-members to keep TBs as trophies (read: steal) ? I have an idea that most go missing because newbie cachers pick them up and don't have a clue what they are. My friend has 20 something total finds to his name over the last year. A few months ago I was talking about an upcoming trip to FL and taking some TBs with me for mileage. He said, "Oh, I think I have one of those!" He went to his room and brought it back. http://coord.info/TB27FYK It hadn't been logged by anyone in over a year. He was about to take it to Canada, and it's mission was to get to Texas. He had no idea that you could track them on the website, he thought they were just for passing around. I "kindly" took the TB from him and moved it closer to it's goal (NOT CANADA). The TB owner was ecstatic to see that it had resurfaced after a year of going dark!

So moral of the story ... when introducing friends to geocaching, make sure to go over TBs with them so they don't hang on to them like idiots

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfans55 View Post
    It's been out of circulation for a year now. I still have to decide whether to own up to it, or let it mysteriously pop back into the game, LOL!
    Own up to it! We all make mistakes, and the TB owner will appreciate your honesty and probably get a good laugh out of your story.

Regarding whether to place TBs into Premium Members Only caches, that might solve the problem only if ALL premium members of Geocaching.com did the same! Good luck in getting that to work!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

chimps8mybaby Guest
    I need some opinions......I just adopted a TB hotel that when it was placed, I told my wife that I bet it'll be missing within two weeks because you can see it from the interstate and a state highway. Anyway, I was wrong about that and it has lasted 2+ years. Now that I have adopted it, I looked to see how many TBs and coins had gone missing from it. Out of 97 that have been logged in, 12 have gone missing from it equalling 12.37%. That doesn't seem too good to me but I haven't compared it to any other TB hotel. Any thoughts? I have it disabled at the moment and in my living room.

Got a message this week that our Traveling Hiker was found in the Sugar Loaf Island cache. Glad it magically appeared there!!! Has been moved to the Russellville area, maybe it can keep going now.

Trackables...I have several stories. The first is a trackable that is stuck in a gingerrose cache by the convention center in Hot Springs. I virtually dropped it ther a few YEARS back and a gave it to a buddy at a convention. He said thanks and put it in a shaving kit of his. He has since missplace the said shaving kit...go figure.

I have a travel bug last dropped in June at a cache called On Cosby GCPB89. I have made contact with several cachers who found the cache later and it is missing. CAKnowles even helped me out! I have marked it as lost. One cacher noted that a hous eis nearby with kids. I bet my Mustang is now a new addition to somebodies collection!

Another one. My travel bug released for the great Arkansas travel bug race is doing well, over 5,000 mile and still moving. I got lucky!

I have several in mh possession currently and will drop them when I fell I can drop them in a safe cache or event. I like moving bugs.

Cardsfan55 was moving a travel bug tiki-taki-tiki or something like that I helped him out. Well later some cacher dropped it in the high desert of Utah and it is now stranded in a far distant cache. The sad thing is it travel only less than my travel bug has that is in a race. The bug could have won had it bee properly logged and the finders read the bugs page.

Lastly DO contact the finders of your bugs it does help. Most do not read the bugs page. A little nudge does help.

Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

We have no luck with Travel Bugs and just to prove it we started a Trvel Bug race to finish (probably last) near the end of the pack.