Thread: Need GPS info

sa georiders Guest

Need GPS info

Hello eveyone. Weve been out of circulation for several years and now that the kids are getting a little bigger we have decided that this is a good way to spend some time together. I do have a question since we have been out of geocaching for several years... There are so many new devices on the market and Ive been trying to do some research but... WOW!!!!! Completely overwelmed coming from someone who used to use two sticks and the sun for tracking (OK, not really that bad). So, I know I want to stay with Garmin. But Im reading about all the states, you know, Oregon, Dakota, Colorado, and now Montana. Im reading about taking pictures, wireless, paperless, and the list goes on. Sounds like wireless and paperless is awesome since I remember sitting for half the day planning a trip that took so much time our caches were cut short. Color would be good, right? Ok , I think you can see where Im going with this. Somebody please help!!! Then, when this is done, I will definetly need a crash course in GPS101 to get us up and running. Im sorry for sounding so stupid but I guess I am just way behind the techno learning curve. So..... any ideas? Thanks ahead of time and all information will be considered. Oh, it was not my intent to get an arguement started by cachers who are dedicated to their particular devices... I just need the facts man, only the facts (lol).

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Well, I think it really all depends on what you want to spend. I personally have the Garmin Oregon 550t and I love it. Love the fact that I dont have to carry a seperate itme like a camera with me.

I have been using the Gczii app on my winmo 6.5 phone and we just put the official iphone app on my wife's phone. Both of which are great as far as the paperless aspect. However, I also use the GSAK program as an offline database and still rely heavily on my old garmin etrex venture device. Some of the new toys have more bells and whistles but that does not mean the others are obsolete. My two cents.

I will also say that while I have the paperless options I will still usually spend several hours planning a cache run. Mostly pouring over the cache pages online looking at logs and maps.

I use a Garmin . The Oregon 200. It is paperless and to me very dependable. I have the I Phone as a cell phone and if I need pictures I can take them with that. I have the Geocaching apps downloaded onto the Iphone but prefer to run my pq's at home , plan my trip, and download the information into the gps. If you go with the Oregon I will be happy to help you with anything that I can.