Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geowoodstock

drmo913 Guest

Geowoodstock

Could Arkansas host a Geowoodstock?
    I'm sure we have the support for it.
    Which city would be best? Little Rock? Clarksville? Hot Springs? Conway?

Is there an area large enough? Which area has the best caches?

What critera is considered by Groundspeak?

The events committee began exploring this possibility over a year ago. At that time the main issue was finding enough volunteers to pull off such a large event. This is definitely something we want to continue to work toward.
    I have quite a bit of info I gathered back then but I will send out a few emails to see if there is an updated requirements list. Below is the list of requirements for GW12. As you can see there is a lot of work that would need to be done to pull this off and it would take at least a year of planning to do it right.

The following is a list of criteria for site selection for GeoWoodstock in 2012, but this could be added to

We do not expect every bid to answer every single point in a positive
    way but the points that include "must" or "mandatory" will not be
    compromised. Some points do not have this wording but obviously would be
    deal breakers if they could not be met e.g. venue size. We encourage all
    who are interested to submit an offer to host this fine event!

1. DESIRE!, to Host the worlds largest Geocaching Event

2. You had to be there!
    A. "Feel" of the event must be maintained!
    B. Past GW attendance necessary to know what worked and what didn't.
    C. Date of event must be the Saturday of either Memorial Day weekend
    or July 4th weekend.

3. Local Organization
    A. Enthusiasm!
    B. Experience with holding events
    C. Longevity of group
    D. Sufficient volunteers to staff event.

4. Venue availability
    A. Size big enough to support expected crowd.
    B. Geocache friendly area (e.g. not in a National Park) or this may be the time
    C. Local tourism board involvement a plus!
    D. Parking! Parking! Parking! (or a well thought out shuttle system)
    E. Availability of vendor area to help recoup expenses. Local laws,
    sales taxes, etc. must be adhered to!
    F. Suitable PA system that can be heard by all attendees within the
    main area of the event.

5. Financing
    A. Financial integrity a must!
    B. Deep pockets not required but helpful.
    C. This is not a big money maker but has not lost any money either
    D. Event attendance is FREE and must stay that way! ( this is of course unless a is a fee to enter the area , like a state park, or town. )
    E. Coins and Pins has always made the coins for all GW, but in 2010 the field is open to any vendor, it will be the hosting orgs choice.
    F. Silent or regular auction possibility for funding event.

6. Geocaching
    A. High density of well maintained, quality caches a big plus, ( high density not a deal breaker but well maintained caches is )
    B. Planned cache runs not mandatory but highly suggested e.g. before or after. GW3
    cache runs, historical, 4X4, drive bys for handicapped or for numbers runners were the best so far. Believe it or not this was one of three things that groundspeak officials said was needed for better mingling and fun for attendees , these can be done with just bookmark list, does not have to have a guide

C. GW is a one day event! Early bird meet-n-greets, after events allowed by groundspeak as long as GW is a one day event.

7. Must use the Geowoodstock.com web address maintained by groundspeak and linked to your website for information about the event with updates

8. Everything must be within Groundspeaks guidelines, we do work with them

9. The host organization will and can control the use of the GeoWoodstock ( trade marked ) name on anything, meaning: if a vendor or anyone wishes to make anything with the name for the event. The hosting org receives all the proceeds.

drmo913 Guest
    Thanks for sharing! I would love to help us bring this to Arkansas.

I have never attended a woodstock event but did attending a planning meeting in Okla. City. Two Okla. area groups and one Texas group were joining together in an attempt to host this in Oklahoma. Their plan was to submit for 2012, 2013 or 2014. I am not sure on any of the final details but know they was a lot involved to be able to host this size event. It would be awesome to see it held close by in Ark. or Oklahoma.

There is a lot involved and much in advance, I understand from one of the committee members that the locations for 2012 and 2013 are already locked in, so I guess 2014 is the first one not awarded yet, I think that 2012 will be somewhere in the Louisville KY area or on the Indiana side, just from some of the blogs, guess we will know in a little over a month where 2012 will be.

I know someone is taking the banner, I would like for all us Arkansas people to try to get together sometime during Geowoodstock so we can take a picture of all of us while there. We are on a tight schedule and having to leave early Sun morning so we won't be there for your event, but would sure like for all of us to get together for just a few min on Saturday

Louisville would be great I have a sister who lives there and a Niece. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

It is close to Louisville!! Sellersburg IN, just 9 miles north of Louisville, yay, here we come, May 26, 2012

I wonder why it's in May? That seems early.

All the Geowoodstocks have been held on Memorial Day weekend, except for the last two that were held over the July 4th weekend because they were held further north and the weather was still OK for that time of year, since next year it is back to the central US, it goes back to the original Memorial Day date.