Thread: Need Recommendation..

DaTexanBoy Guest

Need Recommendation..

My dad, twin brother and I are trying to plan a backpacking get away. We are trying to find a spot where we can hike in a half day, camp next to a pond, and then hike out the following day. Anyone have any recommendations? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,Jeremy

I cannot imagine a backpacking trip this time of year, but have a suggestion which is interesting, easy and there should be water. Look up Icelado gap east of Lurton on Hwy 7. At the gap (a geographic feature) there is an abandoned homestead and cemetery. This is also the genesis of the Devil's Fork creek. There is an abandoned road following this drainage down to the Twin Devil's falls and the confluence with Richland creek. Just above the confluence is the largest falls in the Ozarks and largest between the Appalachians and Rockies. Should be water, should be cooler that urban environs, but there should be insects and snakes. Despite, this is a great easy pack. You can leave one car at the gap and another down on the Richland at the primitive campground. You could walk in and out from that campground, up creek, but it's not much of a trip.

You might check out the Buffalo River Trail and do a section of that. Not a pond, but the river should suffice. Too low to float now, but hiking, camping, swimming, and fishing should all be possible. Beautiful scenery with no crowds this time of year! Also, several access points.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

A few crucial things to know... how far can you lug a pack in a day and how far is too far to drive from your departure point? Does it have to be a pond? The only ponds I've run into in "the wild" were algae scum-ridden small holes that I neither wanted to swim in, nor drink from. Rivers and springs are much more dependable.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    We were looking for around probably 4-6 mile hike in. Camp near probably a spring with a creek flowing and then a half day hike out 4-6 miles. We are trying todo this in the fall pre-modern gun season. Even with my knees I can still carry a packed duty military bag.

Granted - I don't have just a whole lot of hiking experience under my belt, but I LOVE the winding stairs trail - http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/hik...l_id=99&type=H

They used to allow hiking, but with the floods in the area last year, I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. Regardless, it has a nice flowing river with some deep swimmin' hole areas and is beautiful in the fall (Last time I was there, anyway)

The Sylamore Trail is a favorite of mine. 13 miles total one way, so you'd have to park cars at the termini or hire a shuttle from Branscum's General Store in Fifty-Six. Water is not a problem and no creek crossings if you start at Blanchard and go to Barkshed, which means the trail would be 8 miles total, which is what you're looking for. Midway between Blanchard and Barkshed is Gunner Pool campground, accessible by road, so you could cache some firewood and beer if you need to. Another good trail is Cow Creek-Cook Hollow in the Lower Buffalo Wilderness area south of Flippin. It is a 10.5-mile loop trail with a short spur trail at the halfway point that goes down to the Buffalo River. You can camp on the gravel. There are multiple sections along the Buffalo River Trail that are all one-way, where you could hike as far as you like, camp by the river, then hike back the next day. Late October is scenic, and I haven't had problem with the muzzleloaders, but I wear orange. Early November can be cold, but is a fine time before Modern Gun starts. If either of these trails sound good to you, I can give you all the info you need on how to get there, along with maps.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Sweet. Thanks guys.