Thread: Off Topic-Union Pacific Steam train excursion

Off Topic-Union Pacific Steam train excursion

I realize this is not geocaching related, but it may be of interest to some of the train buffs and old timers like me.

My wife and I have spent some time caching in Arkansas over the years and have met a lot of great people. In fact, she has lots of relatives throughout the state.

But, the UP Little Rock Express #844 steam train will be leaving KC, MO on May 29th and arriving in No. Little Rock on June 9th. Walnut Ridge will be a whistle stop, while Bald Knob and N. Little Rock will be an overnight display.

After that it will continue to Russellville and Van Buren before heading into OK.

Here is the link for the schedule and times where the train will be. I'm sure there will be a lot of photo-ops between towns too.

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_tr.../details.shtml

Rich Sheffold (RGS)
    St. Louis, MO

Ashallond Guest
    Spends teh night in Van Buren. Awesome.

Have seen this machine in Little Rock and Denver. Quite a piece of metal. So nice to see how the crew nurses this "old timer" around the country. Glad UP keeps it running.

Thanks for the heads up Rich. Had heard this was coming but had not seen the final schedule so didn't know when. Will definitly have to make the trip accross the river to check it out. Sayitagain

I was doing yard work at home and forgot all about the train till it was too late. I got some good pictures of the one that came through a few years ago.

I got to see it today and point out a benchmark to ORR(covers the geocaching connection I guess). I love it when the steam trains come through. I posted some pictures in FB for those who FB with me. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

C&B forgot to mention that it came through Russellville a day early. The flooding on the Missouri River caused the route to be changed and so did its schedule.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen