Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you log your dnf's

I try to log DNF's on every cache I "do not find" and it doesn't necessarily mean that I think the cache is missing. It means, I gave it a good search and couldn't find it. If I really think it is missing, then I state that in my log. If I look and have to cut my search short for some reason (muggles, weather, etc.), I will log the DNF. The key here is that I have to started my search. If I arrive at the site and decide not to look (for the reasons stated above), then I will just post a note. If I look for a cache, don't find it, but return later that same day and find it, then I will not log a DNF for my first attempt. I will just state in my Found It log that it took me more than one try that day.

As a cache owner, DNF logs and other notes are GREAT feedback about the cache. First of all, they tell me someone is looking for it. I have some caches that I was going to archive because they had not been found in a while and no one had posted a DNF or note against the cache, so I assumed that no one was looking for them. Then, someone would tell me at an event that they had looked for one of these caches and couldn't find it, and not to archive it! So feedback from searchers is very, very good! DNF's are also a good indicator that the cache may be missing. If I get a number of DNF's in a row, it tells me that something may be wrong and that I need to check on my cache.

I really think that many cachers, whether they will admit it or not, feel that a DNF log is a sign of failure and a "bad mark" against them that they aren't good geocachers. Everyone needs to get past this and realize that even the most experienced geocachers can have a bad day of geocaching and experience a lot of DNF's! Personally, I have struggled with some caches that newbies spotted right away! We all have those days!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

drmo913 Guest
    One should ALWAYS log your DNF's. Our very own Gingerose has a number of challenge caches "placed" here in Arkansas. One of which is: "100 DNFs- Challenge Central" (http://coord.info/GC23AQR).

Then there is also the D.N.F. Challenge Cache (http://coord.info/GC1MCEK).

I say log the Frown's for the Smile's!

SunnyArkfam Guest
    When we first started I logged a lot of DNFs and sincerely thought it wasn't there, when really we hadn't got the hang of looking. 1st month I cached I logged 7 DNFs, 2nd month 9 DNFs, 3rd month 2, 4th 6, 5th 3. I want the owner to know if it might not be there. And I don't want to waste my time looking if it's gone, so I hope others will post their DNFs. As a cache owner, I appreciate DNFs to alert me when I need to go do maintenance.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    I started out by not logging them but havent gotten to the point where I log everything, and I do mean everything.

Yes I do I am the River Valley's "King of DNF'S" I am blind in one eye so I have said more than once..don't get offended if I don't find your cache. I talked to my best friend my wife about this. She suggested it is because I am a musician. I have a short attention span..I move on quickly. She maybe right but I do try to look at least 5-10 minutes before giving up. I have way over DNF's...3 just a few days ago. Coon&bud
    KoonandBud

Of course I log my DNF's! Like ORR said, it provides vital information to the CO. It is also helpful to me the next time I look for the cache. I can review my notes to better help me find it the next time. And Coon&Bud... I dunno, I might be the King of DNF's. We should compare data. I have 2,639 finds and 495 DNF's.

pshelto Guest
    I log DNFs based on whether I think the cache is still there. Many times, I just give up and move on (P&Gs, boring cache locations, etc). For these I don't log DNFs. If I search high and low and I'm pretty confident I know where it is supposed to be, I will log a DNF. Also, if I'm in a location for a short time (couple of days) log DNFs so the owner can verify if the cache is there before I leave.

Specialteacher I agree with you on being helpful and also just as entertaining as a found log. I check out my hides after I get a couple of DNF's on one.