Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you log your dnf's

Do you log your dnf's

I sometimes log my dnf's but other times I just don't take the time. I made a trip to Louisanna and grabbed a few caches along I-49. At one unpopulated exit there were 3 caches. Mickey #1, Mickey #2, and Mickey #3. We could never find #1 but went on and found 2 & 3. When logging I logged a dnf on the one we didn't find. Here is a copy of the email I recieved from the cache owner today. Thought it was a good story to pass on.

Greetings, fellow geocacher,

RE: the missing Hidden Mickey Trail #1 in Shreveport, LA

Got a humorous story for you: my wife and I went out to check on Hidden Mickey
    #1 after you reported it missing and indeed the container was not in its
    original hiding spot. Turns out it was found by some muggles, who for mistook
    it for something bad! They thought the toys in the container were meant to lure
    children to the place! They said they saw someone in a red truck looking around
    which also made them curious. So they hid the container about 50 feet from the
    original spot. They returned today to show the container to a friend and that's
    when we ran into them. The friend asked if we were on a scavenger hunt, and we
    told her about geocaching. May have created a new fan of the sport! Anyway
    they showed us where the container was and Hidden Mickey Trail #1 is up and
    running again.

Happy caching,

Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. Personally, I want to hear about ALL searches for our caches, found or not. I try to do the same for others as well.

We log a high percentage of our DNFs in a timely manner. Sometimes we just get mixed up on our log book and forget to write them down. The reason we emphasize "timely manner" is a cache may have several visits if we delay logging and we believe timely logging may possibly help the cache owner and other cachers that may follow us. When we pull a PQ out of state, we eliminate all caches in GSAK where the last two or more hunts were DNFs.

I always try to, If we don't find it, it was a DNF, so we log it, like rklmbl said, it really helps others to know that someone else didn't find it, so maybe it's missing.

When I started 'caching I didn't really see the point. Not only that, I didn't want to seem like I didn't know what I was doing, because at first I wasn't finding them on the first try. After a while I realized that logging DNF's had it's advantages. For one, it lets the CO know that someone was interested in what they had taken the time to hide. Second, it helped to figure out if a cache was missing due to multiple DNF's. I also found that logging DNF's was a good way for me to remember that I had looked for it before and couldn't find it the first time. So from now on, if I look for a cache, I'm gonna log it no matter if I find it or not.

We try to always log our DNFs, for the same reasons others have mentioned.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Ashallond Guest
    I log them. They sit there, staring at me...taunting me until they get archived, replaced, or I go back and turn that frown upside down.

specialteacher Guest
    I sometimes log DNF's but only after I have searched and feel like that it really isn't there. I also, when caching out of state or far from home will delete those with multiple DNF's from my GSAK file before sending to the GPS, for that reason I do get angry when I see a DNF logged with a note like " to many muggles in the area so we didn't get to search" or "it started to rain as we got to ground zero so will have to come back some other time to look"------these are fine to be posted as a note but in my opinion they are not DNF's. To me a DNF is when you searched and searched and you feel that it is really not there otherwise log a note about your visit. How do others feel about this??????????

I feel a DNF is for when you look, and you don't find it. Just because you didn't find it doesn't mean someone else won't. People think differently and I may not think to look in places that someone else might think of. Logging a DNF on a cache also might give the owner a little smile knowing they placed a challenging cache. If all caches were easy to find, to me, that would get boring real quick.

It depends really if its a great spot thats worthy of a story ill leave a DNF or if you miss one in a trail that has 5 and one is not posted as found then obviously u didn't find it, so ill log ones like that. I dont really bother with micros tho in normal spots. Plus some places i plan to revisit and eventually get the smiley