Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Location for Geowoostock 2012?

I've laid the groundwork with the other half of my family to actually attend this one! Of course, he will probably stay in the hotel on the event day - doesn't do crowds, in case ya'll hadn't figured that out.

Geowoodstock X is only 10hrs from western Arkansas, there are many, I mean MANY caches in that area, both urban and out in the forest on trails caches, what every you might want. There is a lot to do and see in the area also, on the way up there (interstate 65) provides quite a few caches and things to see, if you like cars, the Corvette Museum is at Bowling Green right off the interstate, right behind that is the Cache Across America-Kentucky cache, also across the street from the Museum is the Corvette Factory, where all Corvettes are built, they offer tours, you need to schedule a little ahead of time, there is the Kentucky Stonehenge at Munsfordville, also there is Mammoth Cave, several earth caches in that area, there is the Kentucky Bourbon trail (several caches along the hwy) that goes by several bourbon distilleries and most offer tours. Of course there is Fort Knox, you can't see the gold but you will drive right by the gold depository on hwy 31, if you like military history, there is the Patton Museum of armory that is really nice. Elizabethtown has many caches , not far away, near Hodgenville, is the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace, that is a great place to see. That is all before you get to Louisville that offers hundreds upon hundreds of caches, many museums, Louisville Slugger factory and tour where the bats are made, Churchill Downs, they offer tours also, many virtuals and caches you can walk to in downtown, across the river in Clarksville, along the Ohio river there is at least a dozen earth caches, and many more regular in Jeffersonville and on up to Sellersburg. In short, there is a lot to do and see in that area if anyone is thinking of going to Geowoodstock X next year. There should be lots of lodging both on the Kentucky side and the Indiana side. I don't mean to sound like a tourist guide but we have been there several times and still haven't seen everything we would like to see..

I have already confirmed it with my wife that I will be going. The ArkGeo Event is the weekend after so I might just take off the whole week and spend a couple of extra days in the Lousville area before heading home. Sounds like there is plenty of stuff to do along the way.
    I have been wanting to attend one and just have not had the chance yet. The only close one in the last few years was in Bell Buckle, TN but I think I would have been in big trouble if I had missed my son's high school graduation to go geocaching.
    I'll probably be camping to save some cash. Looking forward to it.

They haven't said yet, but I am sure they will have camping there or around the park, I forgot to mention, the next day, Sun the 27th is the Indy 500 if anyone can get tickets!

Ashallond Guest
    cfd, I also have been up in Louisville a lot and the Falls of the Ohio Earthcaches are fascinating. I still have half of them to get to because they are on an island IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER! in the fall you can walk across the Ohio river because of a dam that closes half of the river due to short water, but I haven't been there when that happens. Bardstown is fun as it's where the Old Kentucky Home is at (look at the KY quarter from a few years ago) and the Stephen Foster musical (oh, did I mention 3 distilleries within 20 miles ? (Jim Beam, Heaven Hill and Makers Mark?)

Honestly, this last trip I took I went up and cleared out most of Sellersburg so that I'd be able to spend my time at GWX, and not want to go wander around and get a cache here or there.

I'll aos post this again, they already have the website up where you can go ahead and make an account for info and it is where you'll register and all that good stuff.

http://www.geowoodstock.com

I am putting this one on the calendar now, hope it stay there and we can make it.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

We are going to try also to attend. Already have room reservation. Hope we can keep it and attend!!

where did you make your reservations at????

Ron, I was just about to ask that myself!

Ashallond, you are right!! The bourbon tours are great, they give samples too!!!!! I have not been there to get the earth caches that are in the river, but there are several you can get near the visitor center there. I think we will have a good Arkansas representation at GW X..
    The traffic gets crazy sometimes on I-65 but if you get there early, shouldn't be too much of a problem.