Thread: Russellville Group Caching on May 7?

Russellville Group Caching on May 7?

If anyone will be coming from out of town on May 7 to the Russellville event and is interested in a day or night caching excursion, please let me know. We've got some beautiful spots that I have yet to hike to, and a few that I already have. We also have a night cache or two around here that are fun.

I can't guarantee that I'll be able to go out, but I will definitely try to arrange it if anyone wants to go somewhere as a group.

Rhone and I are compiling a list of caches around the event area and may try the night caches north of town that evening. Anyone can "tag along" with us also. We are reasonably familiar with the area.

I assume you're talking about the Starlight series? That one is a lot of fun. Heck, I may talk Anna into doing it again, just to enjoy the night.

I was considering hiking the large rock on the Dardanelle side of the river that evening. I think ORR has a cache up there.

Initially we are heading to those just north of the event site, then later to the starlight series that evening. Wondered about the Dardanelle side with the water levels. You'll have to fill us in on the "large rock."

The rock I'm speaking of is mentioned in GC17FWC There are two caches along the route. I've never been up on top of the rock, but it overlooks the river and I imagine the view is spectacular.

If you have time for a short multi, I highly recommend Brearley Cemetery and Smiley Bayou, just a few miles from the event. We had a great time with that one.

I don't get many days to cache, so I may do Dardanelle Rock that evening, whether I have company or not. Seems like it's going to be a great day for it.

It looks like Rhone has already done the two caches up on the rock. The view from up there is amazing. I have been going up there for years mainly just for the exercise and the view. It is definitely not an easy stroll, from the road below to the top of the rock is 128 ft. Here is a picture of the view from up top.

As far as doing the night caches I don't think you will have any problems with high water there. This night series is probably the best night cache I have ever done and there are five of them with 2 bonus caches at the end. See you guys on Saturday.

As others have mentioned, the Starlight Series night cache is a classic. We encourage every cacher visiting our area to allow some evening time to give it a shot. We did it about this time of year and it will definitely be a challenge with spring growth. Don’t miss a chance to walk in the deep woods with Interstate traffic a few feet away. A caching adventure in the River Valley not to be missed.

As far as night caches go in the Russellville area, I would also recommend Ghosts of Spanish Conquistadors (GCT5Y9). A little bit of a drive into the middle of nowhere, but a nice night cache.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Dang, Richard. That view is awesome. I've definitely got to try and make it up there.

Reid - The ghosts of spanish conquistadors is a great night cache, too. It's especially fun if there is a group of people at the overlook and you come out of the woods from nowhere. It's a drive, but worth it.