Thread: Geocaching.com Website Update on May 4

Geocaching.com Website Update on May 4

The Geocaching.com website will be down for several hours on Wednesday, May 4th, in order to update the website coding. Click on this link to the Latitude 47 blog post: "Preview of Geocaching.com May 4th Website Release" (http://blog.geocaching.com/2011/05/p...bsite-release/) for more information about what the website changes that will be coming.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

Uggh. So far not impressed. Just got IE 9 and Firefox 4, too. Seems everyone is overly concerned with "sleek appearance." Substance and function be damned.

Everything still seems to function the same just all wrapped up in a prettier package.

The format is great, yet not comfortable for the visually challenged. Easy to change the page view zoom level, but that increases scrolling. Oh well.. always something..

Looks like the issues with the maps has been fixed now. I just heard on one of the Podcacher podcasts that a pocket query function has been incorporated. I just tested it and it seems to work well. You just locate a place on the map where you want to go caching and select the "Create PocketQuery" link in the bottom of the menu on the left side of the map (below the cache icon legend table). The website then takes you to the PocketQuery page where you can give it name and select the days you want it to run and other information. It then produces a pocket query of the caches which were displayed on the map. Pretty slick. I didn't see if it would filter out my finds and hides if I hid those though, so I need to do some more playing around with it. However, even as it is, I think it will be a nice tool to use when I am planning a geocaching roadtrip, as a quick way to get the list of geocaches in a particular area!
    Last edited by OldRiverRunner; 06-17-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen