Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Virtuals are coming back!

Ashallond Guest
    ron, I have no idea HOW they coded the search radius for challenges. I haven't figured out how far away from Fort Smith you have to go before you don't see the two placed in town, but there is no list by state, and if you have solved a challenge, there's no way that someone else could look at your list to see if there are any that they would like to do as well. Your profile apparently only shows the ones you found in the last 30 days.

There's a lot of tweaking to be done to this setup, by apparently jeremy has gone into turtle mode and isn't listening to much of anything.

Worldwide Challenges are only issued by Groundspeak, but you can recommend new Worldwide Challenges on our feedback site.
    This quote is from geocaching.com.

Not really worried about world wide challenges - I can't get any to come up; local, state, national or world wide. Sure looks like they would have tested this a little better before putting it out. Hell, just bring back the original virtuals!!

It is looks to me like these are being counted as finds on the geocaching count. Am I looking at it wrong. I checked on friends page who had found 2 of the challenges. And they were added into his total finds.

They are included challenges in total finds. They did have it that when you would "hover" the pointer on your screen over someones numbers it would say show how many of their total finds was caches and how many are challenges, but I have noticed in the last couple of days that they numbers that use to appear by someone's screen name is no longer there.

Ron- The best way I have found is to put the city and state in the search box, for example Paris, AR or Fort Smith, AR. I have not used coords or zip code that does not seem to give me any returns. I think they will be working on this part as time goes by. I also think right now they have put their efforts in the free phone app. When I open it up it automatically gives me a list of those close to me no matter where I am.

I tried putting Paris, Arkansas and just Arkansas in the search box - still get the weird result of nowhere near here!

Ditto P1T. Finally found the challenges near Paris and Russellville. Have to pick these up on return to AR. This may be a fun addition to caching.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwhite View Post
    I tried putting Paris, Arkansas and just Arkansas in the search box - still get the weird result of nowhere near here!
    Ron, I don't know what you are doing wrong, but it is not a problem with the website. When I put in Paris, AR, or Ft. Smith, AR, or Little Rock, AR, I get a listing of challenges close to those locations.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by SJClimber View Post
    Wonder if GroundSpeak's server problem yesterday has an impact on this? ORR, as a reviewer, do you have any insight into the issue??
    Sorry, SJC, but I am the reviewer, not ORR. Regarding the challenges, reviewers are not involved in any way with them. Any questions, concerns, gripes, praises, etc. concerning the challenges should be sent directly to Groundspeak (there are links at the bottom of the GC.com pages to make contact with Groundspeak). The Lackeys will be happy to help you!
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson