Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtuals are coming back!

Being as I'm kinda new to this, what are virtuals? I think I have an idea of what they are, but not sure.
    I think of them as being just something you go see, and maybe having to describe something at the location to claim the find. I don't really know though. Just a guess!

Go to this link for information about the "game." Very informative and if you plan to place a geocache, there are materials there you should be familiar with. http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

melissafred Guest
    I enjoyed the one I did several years ago. Personally, I'd like to see them come back. They're another nice aspect of the game.

I love virtuals! Often they are the ones in historic sites or places of interest. I had so much fun gathering virtuals in NOLA. AND I personally think having a virtual in airports would be fantastic! That way if you're laid over somewhere or have a connecting flight you can log a cache in that state or country. It's a great way to do a cache that meets with airport approval!
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

I agree Virtuals are historical sights that I just love! I look forward to logging some. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud

We have done some virtuals and really enjoy them. We vote for them to come back!!

Jeremy Irish says they're still working on it, but looks like August is the earliest they will have something live. http://feedback.geocaching.com/forum...geocaching.com

This is from Jeremy on the geocaching.com fourm:

In the UserVoice updates I never said that virtuals were coming back in their previous form, but instead something would be available that should capture the interest in virtuals without the baggage (such as the subjective review process).

To me, this is the most exciting project that we've worked on in years, but it will take some time to iterate through the idea and I know we'll get some things wrong, but the framework is solid. We'll be investing a substantial amount of effort with this project moving forward.

Some points:

• It will be on Geocaching.com, not a new web site. It will be a separate section in the beta, but I expect it to be integrated into a joined search at some point.
    • Currently they will not go towards your find count, but it might at some point. It won't at the beginning though.
    • It will be a visible statistic, so you will see them on the profile, on the logs, etc.
    • We'll be hopefully launching with mobile applications to compliment the activity. I expect that the majority of participants will be using smartphones, but we will have components (Pocket Queries, GPX file downloads, etc) for traditional GPS devices.

For the comments that we should involve the community more, we do. We don't have a public discussion about it, instead working with a smaller sampling of geocachers.

Don't think many people are going to like these.

So if they are not going to count on a smiley at first, why go do them . I would think I would wait until they did count as a smiley. I love virtuals but only do them when I am in an area doing other caches. Will be interesting to see how this goes.