Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtuals are coming back!

ORR, you beat me to it! I too was going to create a Signal Hill challenge since it is the high point of Arkansas. That might be one draw back, since there are no distance restrictions there could be an limitless number of challenges in the same spot or for the same thing. Like the free market system I think that Groundspeak must be hoping that the "supply" and "demand" will help determine the market. I placed my challenge as a photo challenge for the Logan County Museum and I have another I will publish tonight that will be a photo challenge at the Arkansas Coal Miner's Museum here in Paris.

I also downloaded the free app on my Droid X (believe it or not there are complaints on that too). The app only does geocachingchallenges, but that is great for me since I don't cache with my phone (I do use it to go paperless). The app was free so I have no complaints.

Another complaint was about those who log them without actually completing them. Who are they cheating? No one but themselves. I know I have audited logs for some physical caches that I have placed that were logged online but they didn't sign the cache log. I suspect they never really found the cache, but then again they are living the lie, not me.

I for one want to thank Groundspeak for adding something new and not being closed minded about it. I'm sure with time they will address any major issues and tweak it to work better. Again those who complain about them will make the most noise.

I have to note I saw in the Groundspeak forum where one cacher actually disabled one of his caches because someone included it in a challenge without asking his permission. I looked at his cache listing and he even threatens to archive the listing if the challenge isn't.

I am also looking to see how challenges can be incorporated into events. For example, the Cache Mania event in October I might have a Geocaching Challenge for those who find all the geocaches placed for the event.

David, What is the app's name? "Geocaching" doesn't pull it up

Never mind, I found it. It's called "Challenges."
    Last edited by TnT; 08-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.

If the challenge counts toward your cumulative find total, I say bravo on your total milestone... provided the challenges are worthy. Like power trailers with inflated counts, you're not fooling anyone.

And BTW, I think I deserve credit for the Cedar Falls challenge, but I will not post until I find a picture, as it is a photo challenge. I fell in love with hiking in the third grade when my family spent a week at the park, hiking most of the trails. It is special enough to me that I chose it as the place to propose marriage, and I was lucky to have an observant tourist videotape it for me. So, if I can just find the tape and then covert it to digital and capture an image...

ORR, does the picture need to be taken/challenge completed after publishing? This aspect confuses me (I know it's not hard to do that).

Ashallond Guest
    Dang it, I was going to do signal hill, but honestly, with how HARD it is to search a state for challenges (type in arkansas. you get no response...you have to type in a city or coords or a landmark. silly choice there) I also worry about the duplicates.

As for the note that I have on mine about the creation, no...I didn't do that. it was automatically put on. They took that off now?

Honestly, I think there needs to be a bit more control, and we really need to be able to search challenges by state.

Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic View Post
    ORR, does the picture need to be taken/challenge completed after publishing? This aspect confuses me (I know it's not hard to do that).
    I think in the spirit of things, yes, the challenge should be taken and completed after publishing. I mean, prior to the publishing of it, there was no challenge! But the FAQ section on Challenges states the following:

How do I prove that I completed a Challenge?

Challenges run on the honor system. Say you completed it? We believe you. After all, you're only cheating yourself!

So, based upon that ... I guess it's between you and your conscience!
    Last edited by OldRiverRunner; 08-19-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

AFM--right now there are only two types of challenges - "Action" and "Photo". I think there's a lot of overlap. For example, some of the Action challenges request photo proof, and like ORR's photo challenge, there is significant action involved. But some are more pure; for example, an Action challenge of picking up trash in a park (picture not really required) or a Photo challenge of playing air guitar at the Hard Rock Cafe (not a lot of real effort involved, just folly). Personally, had ORR labeled his Cedar Falls challenge as an Action category, I would have claimed it. But since he requests a photo, then I'm going to play by the rules and furnish a photo.

Now, as far as only getting credit for completing a challenge after it is published... I'm not sure I need to re-visit each place to claim credit for having been there... prime example, waterfall caches. So I won't think less of you if you say, "Yep I already did that!"

OK Folks, I need some help with these Geocaching.com Challenges. When I try to find anything in Arkansas or anything else and try to search by location it only brings up challenges at the coordinates of 47°39.585'N 122°21.354'W, which is no where near here. When you tell it to find my location - it comes up with the same thing. I've went in and checked the home coordinates under my profile and they are correct. So, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong - especially since I can't change anything to find challenges that are close. In the search by location I've put in Arkansas, with the same results as above and since I've seen where Paris1time had put in a couple of Challenges, I tried putting in specifically Paris, Arkansas and still came up with the weird coordinated. Anybody have any ideas to share with this lame brain of a geocacher!!??

Agree with Ron. There seem to be four "worldwide" challenges. Those of ORR and P1T do not appear if you place an AR location or if one browses "all" worldwide challenges. Wonder if GroundSpeak's server problem yesterday has an impact on this? ORR, as a reviewer, do you have any insight into the issue??