Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing smiley faces on map in Geocaching.com website

Missing smiley faces on map in Geocaching.com website

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else not seeing their finds (as smiley faces) when you go to the maps in Geocaching.com?? Went to look at what I needed to find to finish up a section of caches I was going to hit this weekend and everything is showing up as not found. Took me a while to look for the new ones I haven't gotten, plus a few others I was planning on hitting. Just wondering!

Same thing here. Lots of little boxes and no smileys, even on caches I know I've found already...

I noticed it yesterday. My map says the following:

" Personalization of the map is currently unavailable. Please try the Geocaching Beta Maps in the meanwhile!"

Not sure what is up with it.

I was just fixing to post the same question myself. Mine has been this way for several days and it is very hard to work with. I just posted on the geocaching.com forum to see if I could find out anything from those cachers. It sure makes it hard to work with the map when you are looking to see where you left off on a run or are looking for a new cache to see where it is located.

Blame Chuck Walla. It's all his fault.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

That is funny . Everything is always the reviewers fault. I did read that they had turned it off because their system was bogging down and running really slow. I guess they are working on a fix. I don't like the other mapping system they have.

Ashallond Guest
    On the Groundspeak forums, I came across a few threads about the home office turning off certain customizations during times of peak access 9spring weekends for example)...this is probably what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by paris1time View Post
    Please try the Geocaching Beta Maps in the meanwhile!"
    This looks like their way of forcing us to use the new maps. I read somewhere that the main reason for this change was that the old maps take up lots of space and resources to run. The new maps are supposed to speed everything up. It looks like they are working toward making the new maps more manageable. I am always up for change.

pshelto Guest
    I heard that CW disabled it so we would go out and refind caches and give him a break from publishing new ones all the time.

drmo913 Guest
    i've played with the new maps-they seem really nice! my favorite feature so far, is the option that lets you zoom out and see all the caches in the region without that pesky 1000 cache limit.