Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minutes - April 8, 2011 Board Meeting

Minutes - April 8, 2011 Board Meeting

Minutes for April 8th, 2011 Board Meeting

Meeting was moved to the La Quinta Hotel in Conway.
    Present in person: Richard Lee, Pat Vaughn, Judy Vaughn, Tim Stone, Ron Laster, and Kevin Cackler

Visitors present: Jeremy Rowland (DaTexanBoy), Maribeth Laster (MBL of RKLMBL), Chris Rasmussen (Razz_007), and Susan Lee (Mrs. IdRatherBeHiking).

Round table discussion:
    No Round-Table Discussion due to the move to a different location.

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 by Richard Lee, vice president.

Reports:
    President's Report:
    The Arkansas Geocachers Association once again had another busy quarter in striving to meet it's goals and Vision and Mission Statement.

Kevin Cackler was appointed by the Board to be the Web Site Manager for ArkGeo and the web site was successfully moved to a new server and switched over to new software. The new web site offers many new features for ArkGeo, loads faster, and spam is no longer a problem.

ArkGeo again offered opportunities for geoachers to get together and meet each other while also learning more about ArkGeo through hosting Eat-N-Greets in Malvern and Fort Smith. ArkGeo also hosted and event and helped the Boy Scouts of America with a Camporee at Crowley's Ridge State Park.

The Committees were also busy and all that the were involved in can be read in their reports to the Board.

Treasurer's Report:
    Beginning balance Jan. 1, 2011: $ 1659.55
    Deposits: $ 236.00 Fundraising
    $ 1.11 interest
    for a total of $ 237.11.

Disbursements: $ 9.69 to K. Cackler (for domain name)

Ending balance March 31, 2011: $1887.97

Website Manager's report:
    No spam postings since change over of website and new software.
    Election module about ready.

Election Committee report:
    The Election Committee has prepared a list of possible candidates for Board elections this spring. Each of these potential candidates meets the requirements as set forth by the bylaws and is willing to serve.

Chris Denton (CPDenton)
    Chris Knox (captain cooder)
    Ron White (RonWhite)
    Linda Tredway (angel06)
    Kent Uhrich (KnKinCabot)

Fund Raising Committee report:
    Need to purchase T-shirts and engraved carabineers
    Community Relations Committee report:
    Prepared by Judy Vaughn (MathSeeker) Board Liasion

Current Community Relations Committee Members
    Judy Vaughn – MathSeeker (Board liaison)
    David Spicer – paris1time (Chairman)
    Jim Sick – sayitagain
    Bruce Crane – Quartzcachers
    Clark Gray – cfd29
    Brett Phillips – brettp2004
    ArkGeo was asked to help out with the Council Camporee at Crowley's Ridge State Park on March 5. An ArkGeo event was scheduled to help show the boy scouts about geocaching.
    Molly Fleming, a reporter with Stephens Media, Inc. working on a story about geocaching in Cabot, Lonoke, and Carlisle contacted ArkGeo for some information on geocaching. Judy Vaughn returned her email and phone call. KnKinCabot was also interviewed. The article was in the Spotlight magazine that their paper put out last week.
    Committee work has been done in the forums. We have not had any face-to-face or teleconference meetings.
    Events Committee report:
    Prepared by Richard Lee(IdRatherBeHiking) Board Liasion

The Events Committee is made up of:
    Richard Lee - idratherbehiking (Board Liaison)
    Jason & Lisa Nuckols - jclaudii & southerngirl(Co Chair)
    Ken Hayes & Sue Hayes- Nukeworker & Raquetballgirl
    Brian Bryant - B62GTAWK
    Blair Shelton - pshelto
    Jim Fryar & Sandy Fryar - likestocanoe
    Judy Franklin - jffok
    Ron White - Ron White

The committee is currently in the planning stages for the ArkGeo Annual Event that will be held at Lake Ouachita State Park and are working with the Community Relations Committee for soliciting prize donations for the event.

Lake Ft Smith State Park has been chosen for the 2012 ArkGeo Annual Meeting and planning will begin for that event after the 2011 event has ended.

The Arkansas Challenge Event is still being planned for the fall with no firm date selected as of yet. It will be held at Mt Nebo State Park either at the end of October or first of November.

All work has been done in the forums. We have not had any face-to-face or teleconference meetings. Committee members have been active in the discussions.

Membership Relations Committee report:
    Prepared by Tim Stone (BSA534) Board Liasion

The Membership Relations Committee is made up of:
    Tim Stone - BSA534 (Board Liaison)
    Judy Vaughn - MathSeeker (Chair)
    Holly Thorwarth - gingerose
    Justin Murphree - arkfiremedic

The committee created a new “Caching To Do List” contest each month and verified each member’s list as it is posted. The committee has also awarded points to each member for attendance at official ArkGeo events.

After discussion it was agreed to end the monthly contest due to lack of member involvement. The committee submitted the following recommendation and it was approved by the board on 3/30/11:

Proposal from Member Relations Committee concerning monthly contest The monthly contest was started to get the membership involved in ArkGeo. There are only a few people that bother to complete the contest each month and it is basically the same few each month. The committee believes that this contest needs to be put on hiatus and we as a committee need to come up with something else to involve and/or recognize the membership.

The committee proposes that this contest end with the current (March 2011) game. It may be brought back in the future with some changes to the rules in order to get more members involved.

The committee has been discussing new ideas for other contests and activities.
    ArkGeo has published 2 caches so far since the implementation of the ArkGeo-owned cache program. No others have been submitted.

Committee Chair Judy Vaughn has continued to maintain the list of member participation points.

All work has been done in the forums. We have not had any face-to-face or teleconference meetings. Committee members have been active in the discussions.
    Unfinished Business
    ArkGeo goals for 2010 - 2011:
    The Board discussed our goals.

ArkGeo owned caches:
    Tim Stone made the motion for ArkGeo trading cards to be purchased for placement in ArkGeo owned caches. The cost for 2500 cards is $105. The motion was seconded by Pat Vaughn. Motion carried.
    At this time it is not feasible for live streaming of board meeting.
    New Business
    Motion was made by Pat Vaughn to accept the slate of candidates for the upcoming board election. Motion was seconded by Tim Stone. Motion carried. Candidates are listed in the Election Committee Report.
    Discussion about two members from the same family serving on the board – consensus was that the membership elects the board members and they can elect who they want to serve on the board.
    Standing Rules are board guidelines. They are not for the general membership.
    Motion was made by Ron Laster to add Jason Nuckols (jclaudii) as a website administrator to help clean up the membership list. Motion was seconded by Tim Stone. Motion carried.
    Fund Raising Committee will check into the possibility of producing another ArkGeo Geocoin. Membership Committee will work on a contest for the design of the coin.
    Ron Laster requested that we have a detailed treasurer's report at the annual meeting.
    Committee Member additions:
    The Board approved Jeremy Rowland (DaTexanBoy) as an addition to the Fund Raising Committee.

The next Board meeting will be held in Conway on July 22 at 6:30.
    Adjournment
    Last edited by kcackler; 04-21-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by ArkGeo_Board View Post
    What does this mean? I don't think it is intentional, but it gives the impression that the Standing Rules may not be available to the general membership for viewing. If this is the intent of the statement, then why? I believe that the actions of the Board should be public and open to all members of ArkGeo. And this should include the rules that the Board follows. The Rules should not be "secret". Please let me know if I have misinterpreted something here. If so, then please edit the minutes to make them more clearly state what what was intended. Thanks!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Ashallond Guest
    If anyone wants my opinion on how to improve an ArkGeo game from the caching list version 1.0, I'll be more than happy to relay it to someone. I know reasons why at least three people didn't or stopped playing the game. Just send me a PM.

Also, I just want to say how impressed I am at what all the board and the committees are doing right now. Thank you for all that you do.

Ltfightr Guest
    Where do you find the ArkGeo merchadice that you could earn points for? I could never find anything about it other than that line in the rules.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Ltfightr, since I'm new on a committee, I would say to contact BSA534 or Mathseeker. They would probably know best. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

specialteacher Guest
    Ark Geo merchandise is available to purchase at Ark Geo events. They have shirts, hats and other stuff. Tim usually has it.

The ArkGeo merchandise (t-shirts, carabineers, hiking medallions, caps, etc...) that the fund raising committee has to sell is the merchandise that is available for points. It equates to a penny a point. The merchandise will be available at the annual meeting.

You can earn points by placing an ArkGeo cache, attending and ArkGeo event, or completing ArkGeo contests. There should be more contests coming.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkGeo_Board View Post
    What does this mean? I don't think it is intentional, but it gives the impression that the Standing Rules may not be available to the general membership for viewing. If this is the intent of the statement, then why? I believe that the actions of the Board should be public and open to all members of ArkGeo. And this should include the rules that the Board follows. The Rules should not be "secret". Please let me know if I have misinterpreted something here. If so, then please edit the minutes to make them more clearly state what what was intended. Thanks!
    I'm bumping this one up again, since no one on the Board has offered a reply, either in public or in private. I'm still wondering what this part of the minutes is supposed to mean. As a former Board member and President of ArkGeo, I believe that the Standing Rules should be public and available for viewing on the website by the general membership of ArkGeo.
    Last edited by OldRiverRunner; 05-03-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Curious. ORR, can you point out to me where you are reading this? I'm not locating it. Thanks.

Ashallond Guest
    It's near the bottom of the page below the line "Discussion about two members from the same family serving on the board – consensus was that the membership elects the board members and they can elect who they want to serve on the board."

Seriously, there does need to be a bit more communications about the documents and rules of ArkGeo. new people don't know them. This is my second go around on elections, and I STILL haven't read half of the rules and regs for ArkGeo.