Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Great (Geocaching) Story

A Great (Geocaching) Story

This story really isn't about geocaching, but was brought about because of contacts made through caching. I thought it was just too good not to share.

This past Tuesday, I received a call from Pa & Ma, a husband/wife geocaching team that I have known for several years. They live in the Batesville area and had recently found a 2011 high school ring at a rest area south of Batesville. The owner's name was in the ring and the ring was from a school with the initials SHS. They had tried to gain info from some local schools, but was unable to locate anyone with that name. They knew that I was from the Searcy area and thinking that it could be a Searcy High School ring, asked me if I would check and see if he was enrolled there.

Since I now live in Jacksonville, I contacted Geojeepers in Searcy because I knew that they had contacts at Searcy High School. They learned that Searcy did not have a student by that name, but they didn't give up. They had contacts at Southside School and were able to determine that the young man did indeed attend there. He had lost his ring almost a year ago and was overwhelmed that it had been found and we had been able to track him down. From the time that Pa & Ma called me, the student was located within an hour. The ring was returned to him yesterday.

The young man probably could have been located through other channels, but it was very rewarding to me to know that contacts made through this crazy game that we play helped reunite him with his ring and bring him so much joy this week.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Awesome story!!!

What a great story!

cachemates Guest
    Great story Pat!

Pat, your story about the ring was a good way to start our day. I can't remember all the details now, but my grandmother lost her wedding ring in a corncrib many many years ago and a few years went by before it was found. This doesn't have anything to do with geocaching but your story sparked my memory this morning. You are to be commended for following through on this for pa and ma and GeoJeepers is to be commended for sticking with it until they found the owner. Of course, we all know that's the kind of people you are and this was just par for the course for you guys.

So glad they found the owner. Being from that area, I immediately thought of Southside high school. I am assuming Southside(Batesville) school, since that is only a few miles from that rest area. What a great feeling that young man must have had when his ring was returned. Kudos to all involved!

Ashallond Guest
    I was about to ask which Southside myself, as I know of three Southside's in the state of Arkansas (Batesville, Bee Branch, and Fort Smith).

AWESOME story by the way.

That is an awesome story! It makes me feel so good to be associated with such a fine group of people. Pat, Brian and Teresa, and Pa & Ma, you guys Rock! But of course we all knew that already.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

It's to bad we didn't read about this great story in the paper, Seems we only get the stories published about how we trigger bomb scares and destroy the woods with our treasure hunting game!

Wow I will have to tell this one to Rick Harrell the Jostens ring man here in Russellville. My first post.
    KoonandBud