Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Site

I am still trying to figure out how you see just the newest posts? The forum listing comes up and still having to scan the dates for the last post. Also some of my envopes are red and some blue. I am using the What's new option.

What What's New link shows you every thread with a post that you haven't yet seen. It's what I use for catching up on everything and appears to be working perfectly.

Also, on the homepage, it shows you how many new posts have been made since your last visit. Clicking that link will also take you to the new thread listing.

The red envelopes are for "Hot Threads" while the blue is for threads with new posts. The gray is for not hot, no new. These icons will be changing, because they confuse even me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kcackler; 02-27-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Thanks. I found the right places to click and that works good. This going to be a much better forum. Thanks for all you are doing.

Post Calendar

Hey Everybody. I just wanted to point out that there is now a link to the calendar at the top of the page.
    I have posted all upcoming events to the calendar. I will try to keep up with them as they are published on GC.com.
    There is also a list of upcoming events in the next 14 days at the bottom of the forums page if you scroll to the bottom.

I hate to be a pain, but maybe we could have the GC code linked in the event descriptions?

Also, another new feature (Minor, but useful) - Did you notice that I've placed a GC button on the new post editor? Write your GC code, then highlight it and hit the GC button, and it will be linked to automatically. Useful, eh?

IE GC2P42A

Quote Originally Posted by kcackler View Post
    I hate to be a pain, but maybe we could have the GC code linked in the event descriptions?
    IE GC2P42A
    Sorry if I am not as nerdy as you. Just kidding. I'll be sure and go back and do that. I just did not have the time when I posted them all to the calendar.

Yeah, how nerdy of me to think people might want to visit the GC listing in question, huh

I was going to take care of them last night, but the bed was calling my name.

Seriously, though - Thanks for populating the calendar. I thought it might be a useful feature addition to the site.

OK, I have a complaint. I just tried to look at the forum section and the website gave me a error message, saying that I needed to fill in some information in my profile. It wouldn't let me go any further until I filled in the "required" information. I thought I had already done this. Regardless, why does the website need my address and phone number on file??? And why wasn't my information just automatically transferred over from the previous site?
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Ok I just had the same problem as Old River Runner getting logged in. Would not let me go any farther until I updated my personel information. Good questions ORR

On the old website, your user information was stored in a custom database setup, written by Bert, and NOT in the forum's database tables. In this setup, it required your date of birth, your full address, and your telephone number. Rather than waste valuable time writing a custom script to copy that information over, I set it up so that you needed to add that information to the new setup.

Why???? Because it's been 6+ years since many people added their information. The chances that the address information had changed is pretty great, most likely. I figured that each member spending 1 minute updating their address information was better than me spending 1 hour importing old, mostly incorrect data. As well, by clearing the data and starting anew, we can see just how many "Voting Members" are actually still active in the organization.

I personally don't see a problem with the setup, since your address is going to be on file anyway. But if it's that big of an inconvenience to edit 5 profile fields, I'll turn the feature off.