Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed at Boy Scout Camporee on March 5

Help needed at Boy Scout Camporee on March 5

The Quapaw Area Council Camporee is at Crowley's Ridge State Park on March 5. They are looking for some help teaching geocaching to Scouts that morning. There will probably be around 700 Scouts there that day.

We will reserve a 10' by 10' canopy. Activities will be from 9 to 12 and 1 to 4. I think. I suggested either morning or afternoon but if you wanted to man the area for the whole period that would be ok I'm sure.

I figure you guys have a format that you've used at other camporees that works. For example do you do a training on GeoCache/GPS (? minutes) and then give them GeoCache locations to find. They register / trade items or ? when they find one. Anyway, this is one of the premier events of the camporee and many are looking forward to it. I stated at the meeting that troops need to bring GPS's if they have them.
    So I need help setting up, hiding some caches and showing the Scouts how to use the gps units. We'll also need any extra gps units we can get.

So can I get some volunteers? PLEASE?!?!?

DaTexanBoy Guest
    I would actually love to help. I am getting surgery on my ankle on March 3rd. Would there be a way to sit down the whole time?

The Event has now been published on GC.com GC2P2CM

So please log on and post a "Will Attend" if you can come out and help that day. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Not to mention it is a lot of fun watching some of these little guys following the gps all over the place.

Ltfightr Guest
    Let me check what I'm doing that day.

DH and I are also the MBC for Ouachita so I can sign off on them if you would like. I don't think I'm doing anything. We would have to bring our Bear DS with us.

I just got back from the first Wood Badge weekend up that direction.

Diana Houser
    Cubmaster Pack 32
    Geocaching Merit Badge Councillor

It would be great to have you there! I'm not planning on teaching the merit badge (too many scouts), just give a basic introduction to geocaching and GPSrs. Hide some caches and let the Scouts hunt them down and basically answer questions. There may be some questions about the merit badge so it would be great to have some people there that are familiar with the requirements. Sure hope you can make it.

Tim

flannelman Guest
    We have our district Pinewood Derby that day. My sons both are in it and so is another boy from my den so I kinda have to go to that.

Ltfightr Guest
    My MIL passed away today and the service is going to be next Saturday so Parker and I won't be there. Sorry. Have fun everyone.

Diana

Diana, we are so sorry to hear about your loss. You are in our prayers.

Ltfightr, Sorry for your loss.

Still looking for some more help! This may be the least attended event in Arkansas geocaching history if some folks don't show up! If you aren't busy Saturday morning please consider coming out to help teach Scouts about your favorite activity!