Thread: Geocahing for the handicapped

Michael Guest

Geocahing for the handicapped

Watching the You Tube video that TheRascals posted got me thinking about the different challenges handicapped people have. Geocaching is the perfect sport to get people involved in the outdoors, especially if they are handicapped. The ratings aren't always accurate, we should put together a list a caches that are truly handicapped accessible.

What caches do you know of that are handicapped accessible?

Any special considerations we should take when setting up a cache for the handicapped?

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Actually on the GC website you can filter for handicap accessible caches, but the problem with this, is not all people that place caches place attributes to the caches. I guess if more folks put attributes it would make it easier to find handicap friendly caches, along with say other attributes folks might want to know about.

My friend Chuck Walla tells me that a Terrain Rating of 1 should be reserved for wheelchair-accessible caches. "Wheelchair-accessible" means that a geocacher should be able to roll in a wheelchair from parking to cache, find it, reach it, and replace it without standing. If these conditions are not met, then the Terrain Rating should be 1.5 or higher. Also, the wheelchair-accessible attribute should be selected for display on the cache page.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

T1=WC. This I also learned from CW. It steams me to find misappropriately labeled caches.

Steams me too! I'm always pretty upset when I see a 1 Terrain and there is no way a wheelchair could make it up to the cache or reach the cache.
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.