Thread: Whereigo caching on the iPhone

Whereigo caching on the iPhone

Anyone tried PiGo? The Whereigo app for the iphone? I downloaded it the other night but I haven't been anywhere to try it yet.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pigo/id385035547?mt=8

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Nope, havent tried it app, but I am definitely going to have to download it tonight and take a look at it. Thanks for the heads up!

Ashallond Guest
    not yet. I'm waiting to update my iphone to the next version when it comes out in July, (since my 3G doesn't like the new OS, I'm still running an older version)

However, with 2 whereigo's withing 3 hours of Fort Smith (1 in Tulsa, 1 in LR) there's not many places for me to try it.

I downloaded the app, too, but have not tried it. I hear it's buggy. But hey, it's definitely on the right track. It was amusing hearing the interview with the creator of the software. He was brand new to caching and basically had this to say about Groundspeak, "What? What do you mean there's no way to do a Wherigo cartridge on the iPhone?! Well, I guess we'll have to fix that."

IRBH is promising us a Wherigo cartridge this year over in another thread, so let's hope it's compatible.

Ltfightr Guest
    Does it work on an iTouch? Or would you have to use both your Touch to see it and your GPS to find it?

I've really been wanting to try one of these.

Diana

You should use your GPS receiver with either iPhone or iTouch. The iPhone is merely the multimedia device adjunct to the GPSr. I would not use the iPhone as a primary GPSr. I know that some folks do, but they are poor quality GPSrs.

I've used the app to find the Wherigo cache in Burns Park (NLR). It was very time consuming, but I eventually found the cache. You have to move to within certain zones set up by the Wherigo cache designer to trigger a message on your device that tells you what to do or where to go next. I think the problem was that the zones were set up to a small size, so that made it more difficult using the iPhone due to the inaccuracy of the GPSr within the iPhone. I have heard of other cases where the app was used with no problem at all. I remain skeptical. Perhaps if the zones are established large enough, then it would work fine.

My hunt for the Burns Park Wherigo took me 3 separate trips, but primarily because I started the first two hunts very late in the day and didn't know what I was doing. By the end of the second trip, I had a better idea of how to approach it. I also downloaded the emulator onto my home PC and used it to help me plan my 3rd visit to look for the cache, and it helped me out quite a bit. However, in the field, I still had to rely on my iPhone and it got me within the general area of the actual location of the cache. Then it took just some good old searching to locate the physical cache. I don't know about other Wherigo caches, but the way this one was set up, a GPSr was only used to get you to the starting point. After that, you had to rely upon the app to guide you. There were no coordinates provided during the playing of this Wherigo cartridge, only pictures showing locations or general headings and approximate distances. So a traditional GRSr really didn't help. Of course, something like an Oregon or Colorado is designed to run these games.

I am also considering setting up a Wherigo cache in Russellville, and have some ideas on how to construct it. The one in Burns Park is the only one in Arkansas, currently, so it would be nice to get one or two more out there to challenge everyone! If I put one together, I will definitely try to make the zones large enough so that the Pigo app works well with it.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Thats good to know ORR. I hope you get one going in Russellville. Have you looked at an of the alternative applications for building whereigo caches? I heard the official groundspeak one is tough to use and that there are better 3rd party apps.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA534
    Have you looked at an of the alternative applications for building whereigo caches? I heard the official groundspeak one is tough to use and that there are better 3rd party apps.
    Nope. Didn't even know they existed! I will have to check them out. I hope there's one that runs on the MAC OS. The Groundspeak one runs only on Windows, so I have to launch XP on my Mac to run it. A work around that I can deal with, but I prefer Mac applications when I can get them.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Ltfightr Guest
    Well, I tried it on my iTouch today and it didn't work. I kind of didn't think it would but it was free so I thought we would give it a try. Back to wanting a new GPS. LOL