Thread: Need help from Geocachers

justthieves Guest

Need help from Geocachers

Hi folks,

My name is Adam Webb (justthieves on gc.com). Haven't been on here for a while, but I come to you all in an hour of desperation. I work with teens here in Garland County and as part of summer educational programs this week, we launched a weather balloon space capsule that had a GPS tracking phone on it and a camera that would take pics from near space. We lost contact with the balloon for a while, but it showed back up on its way down near Cherry Hill. Its last known coordinates were N 34.63078 W 93.97095, but we lost signal again with about 1 minute left of its flight. If my assumptions are correct about its trajectory, it landed somewhere on a line between N 34.636915 W 93.977058 and the previously mentioned coordinates. This puts it in the Ouachita National Forest off Polk Rd 688.

While it is not a cache, you are the only group I can think of that use GPS and like stomping around in the woods. If any of you are in the Mena or Mount Ida area, I would greatly appreciate any help in locating this. I went out for a few hours today, but to no avail. It is a styrofoam cooler with neon orange duct tape wrapped around it and it should be attached to a parachute. It might be in a tree, it might be on the ground, I just don't know.

I am offering a $50 cash reward for the person who locates it. If you find it, it has my phone number on it and in it, or you can message me on here.

Thanks,
    Adam

We were JUST in Mena, too. I will pass this along to my brother in law. Not sure if he's planning on visiting there soon or not, but I will let him know.

This is Roswell all over again
    Im a geo -junkie and i need my fix!

Ashallond Guest
    You know, this is the third balloon that has drifted into Arkansas in the last 18-20 months. We should make a forum for all the balloonists (trust me, i'd love to launch one myself, but I don't have the stuff nor the money to get the stuff)

We are going up that way this weekend.... We will see what we can spot.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

What an awesome FTF prize I mentioned it to a fellow cacher in that area!