Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any geocaching splurges for last day of year?

DaTexanBoy Guest

Any geocaching splurges for last day of year?

My buddy from work (Razz_007) and I are planning to hit the Hwy 70 power trail New Years Eve morning. We are going to start bright and early that morning and make it all the way to Brinkley and try to pick up a few more along the way. Our goal is 200 for the day to end the year off.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Geocaching!!!

One of my favorite caching days ever was about 3 years ago on New Year's Eve when I made my first pilgrimage to Clarksville. It was a great day of finding so many legendary caches (many of which are gone now). We had so much fun and made many trips back.

Hey DTB, our experience on Hwy. 70 was that if you want to find two hundred in a day, find about twenty five or thirty before you leave central AR. We had to come back to the Cabot area to finish out our 200 day, and that was on Labor Day weekend when there is more daylight. We had plenty of light left at the end of the day though, and we could have kept going, but more pressing stuff beckoned. We did the Hwy. 70 series part of the day in about six hours.
    Hope this helps!
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!!

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Sweet, thanks for the input! Razz_007 and I were talking at work today and we are going to get started around 6 in the morning. I think there is a virtual we are going to pick up, then maybe go all the way to Mississippi to get a few in a different state. Luckly for me though, I get to spend all day geocaching since the wife and kids will be out of town at her mothers in Houston . I told him I'm gonna go all day then go to bed early so I can be in Russellville at 7 Saturday morning for the eat and greet.

I will have to hit Jacksonville early before. Thanks for the advice. We made some stickers too, to hopefully speed up the process, plus it's going to be pouring down rain, what a day to pick, huh?

Splurges

DaTexanBoy be sure and take plenty of extra log sheets also. The day Edieo and I did the trail seems we ended up replacing about every 4th log due to it being wet. Also might take some extra film cans there where a lot that had bad cracks in them and we didn't have any.
    jim white

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Yeah that's what Razz_007 had heard, so he's printing off a bunch of extra log sheets, and I'm picking up film canisters. I have about 30-40 right now but I told my wife to pick up some more at Wal-mart tonight. Believe it or not, Wal-Mart gives those away for free, basically as many as you want to carry out with you. At least thats the way it is here in Conway. Since we are going on Friday when all the rain is supposed to hit, we figured we run into a few wet logs along the way. Is it a pretty nice highway?

Splurges

The road is pretty nice, and there is room on most of the caches for a place to pull over on the shoulder. There are some of the hides that are off cords. pretty bad, but as you start you will figure out the likely hiding spots to look for. Watch out for those on the ditches they drop off pretty good and if the grass is wet you will be too!
    jim white

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Thank you very much for those words of advice, I'll have to tell Razz_007 that, since he will be the navigator. I get the privilage of driving since I had surgery back in September on my knee. So i'm still a little slow to get in and out of a car. Well, I have 80 film canisters, so we should be set to go to replace a lot of them, just in case. I'm hoping it wont be too bad with all the rain and everything, but either way, me and Razz_007 are set and determined to start and complete the hwy 70 series. At least I should have an adventure to tell come Saturday morning...LOL

Ashallond Guest
    well, my splurge today was not to go find any, but to go hide three, one of them being a new challenge for the state....I've found a lot of good challenges in other states that I've cached in, so I'm making copies of them to bring over here for us to play with as well.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Well, my buddy Razz_007 and I started and finished the hwy 70 challenge today. Man that is a long way. I tell you what, it takes some endurance and will power to finish that whole thing. There were a few times I was questioning myself...LOL. Either way we finished it and found a few others along the way. I think I ended up with around 190 for the day.