Thread: Possible idea? CITO in Ozark NFS again

Possible idea? CITO in Ozark NFS again

This is a direct copy out of the same post I posted in the events committee section last month with no responses, so I figured I would post it here to see what the interest is. I went ahead and posted this in one of my offroad forums and a few people showed interests. So this could be something that could work, especially if we have the turnout like we did last time along with the awesome prize donations! Thanks:

With the 2010 year coming close to an end and spring just around the corner...Southerngirl and I thought about a possible idea on a collaborative effort to do another CITO in the Ozark NFS. I am members on several offroad forums in our state and many of those individuals love spending time in the forest and always have questions for me when I bring up how many geocaches they passed on there drive on the back roads. Also, it will have been over two years since any CITO has taken place in the Ozark NFS so I know the NFS will love to hear from us.

We thought about doing this event on our own like we did last time, but being on this committee I figured I would ask if there is interest in arkgeo helping to host? Also, once it looks like a good idea here, I'll bring it up to the offroad communities and see what the interests is there. Our hope is to basically get geocachers out seeing the forest in/on their vehicles of choice. If they don't have a 4x4, they can ride with someone in the 4x4 community who does not have a gps or the experience of geocaching. This will hopefully bring new people to our sport and bring more people out for a CITO that helps everyone!

I basically want to get an idea by hopefully visiting the areas worst hit before the event and putting coordinates to the areas that have the most trash that need attention and several of us will head in all the directions.

Anyways, since this section has been so inactive I thought I would post this in here and see what kind of interest I sparked?

pshelto Guest

4x4 !!!

I am totally, without a doubt, no holds bar interested. I have many friends with dual-sport bikes that love trails and have helped me hide caches. I just added a new cachemobile to my garage and would love to get some more mud on it. Let me know what I can do to help.

GeoJeepers Guest
    Count me in...need to give the Dana 44 I put under the back of my old CJ a try. My son has found himself a Cherokee that he felt required a 4.5" lift and 33" tires, so he'll be game to hit the trail for a CITO too!

Thanks, this is still just a feeler to see if there will be enough interest for us to mess with it as it was a pretty big undertaking over two years ago before we had kids. By this time in the spring both of ours will be walking, but I still have not heard anything on if arkgeo wants to help out on this one?

Michael Guest
    There is probably some place around here where I'm supposed to introduce myself first, but I'm just going to jump right in on this one.

A CITO would be a great idea. Its a great way to promote the sport here in Arkansas, and its a great way to show the rest of the outdoor people how cachers take care of the environment. There are a lot of people out there with GPS' that have never tried geocaching, I think a lot of them would be interested in a CITO, if they knew about it.

The big obstacle is finding a way to let everyone know about the event. If you decided to organize the event I'll help in anyway I can.