Thread: I have an ideal for chellenge, but need help...

DaTexanBoy Guest

I have an ideal for chellenge, but need help...

I was wondering if there was a Military Battles/ Military Remembrance Challenge or something of the sort in Arkansas.

If not I would like to do one, but will need help in doing it. I am still fairly new to geocaching (only 75 finds and 1 hidden), and am unsure of how to get started pursuing on building/hiding the caches for this challenge. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is probably a big challenge for someone new like me, but would love to do it and I think it is much needed.

Thanks,

DaTexanBoy

pshelto Guest

Series

Do you have a particular series in another state that you might reference for help? I've not seen any series like this, but it seems like a good idea.

I thought for a minute you wanted to a military base series and I was going to say that I am pretty sure that is a security issue. However, a battle series would be cool.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Not that I've seen. I havent really looked to see if there was another series that did battle sites in the respective state.

I had thought about doing all the Civil War battle fields here in Arkansas and any other significant site that had something thing to do with war and civilian sites that helped in the war site.

I was thinking of doing the Civil War battlefields though in chronological order though, and to complete the challege you have to log the battlefields in chronological order. I may even put a special mark on the caches to ensure someone was there and actually saw the site and what not, since going to everyone would be a pain to check out and make sure someone was there.

That sounds like a nice, educational challenge.

A lot of the Civil War Battle sites already have caches. That is why I have been to several already.
    One cache at a time!

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Yeah, I think there are 17 here in the state. With one of those being a major battle at Pea Ridge. I figured having to do it in chronological order would make it a little tougher and would be cool to see the progression of where the battles were.

You will have a dead cache if you do the chronological order thing. For example, I have already found Marks' Mills, Jenkins' Ferry, Prairie Grove, Poison Spring, etc. First of all, I can't claim another find on the same cache (unless the owner allows it, such as with a temporary cache at an event, although this is still against Groundspeak rules). Secondly, I'm not going back even if I could. I already found the cache. Third, it is too much mileage, and we already put too many miles on our vehicle. For example, let's say you've got a cacher from NE AR that makes a trip to South Arkansas to complete his ASP Challenge, but he has to purposefully disregard one of the three Red River Campaign caches to go to the NW corner of the state to get Pea Ridge or Prairie Grove, just to come back to south Arkansas to go back to NE Arkansas. No thanks.

Otherwise, it sounds cool. Another thing to keep in mind is that your challenge cache is directly dependent on other people's caches. So, if joeblowcacher fails to maintain or archives his Battle of XYZ cache, you are sunk. Probably better to require the cacher to find a certain percentage of the total.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    True, I know I have put a few miles on my car since I started. I'll have to put some more thought it this. I was thinking at each place, would be a seperate cache other than one that was there. Sorry for all the questions, I'm still new at this and don't know all the rules and regs by memory yet.