Thread: Dial-up

rock_hound Guest

Dial-up

The web site is great. Just one comment, it is a little graphic rich for those of us still using dial-up. V e r y S l o w f o r m e.

LongDogs Guest

Dial-up

Yes, there are better themes than the default for dial-up.

Go to the Your Account link, and click the Themes button.

You might want to try ExtraLite, or Sunset. Even DeepBlue has less graphics than Chronicles. NukeNews is also pretty fast.

Most of the graphics should cache in the browser, though, and not have to load repeatedly.

I'm sorry you are still on dial-up . Dial-up sucks bad. I had dial-up then I found two way Satelite from http://www.directduo.com It is great but a little costly.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

GEO Guest

Dial-up

So far so good for me.
    I have a fast computer I guess.
    It works great for me the other themes seemd a little off center in some and others just did not look right.
    I like the wood grain effect looks like Old Time Radio receiver-transmitters
    You just have a bunch of tuning and function buttons now.
    So see yas on the trails.

southdeltan Guest
    I haven't noticed a big problem with this site, or any php-nuke site, while on dialup. There are some things that can be done to spead loadup - like lowering the size of the few images on the page (most notably the ArkGA logo) and reduce the number of topics/threads per page in the forums.

We have a T1 at school at this page doesn't load significantly slower for me at home on dialup. It is noticiable but not problematic.

sd

I'm useing Cox Cable and have no problems at all bu I download music and videos in less then 30 seconds. So this site is no problem.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

LongDogs Guest

Site load time

The site theme you choose can be a significant factor in the site load time. The most graphically intensive theme options on this site are SpacePilot3K, Chronicles, and subBlack3dBlue. The default, which is Chronicles, is pretty heavy on the graphics.

The ExtraLite theme has almost no graphics, and should load really fast even on dialup. NukeNews, Milo, and Sunset have very little more than ExtraLite.

DeepBlue and the rest fall in the middle somewhere, but are also not very intense. Any of them should be fine too.

If the site is loading slow, I'd suggest switching your theme to ExtraLite, NukeNews, Milo or Sunset. You could also try out some of the other themes to see how well they work. I've tried to put a wide variety of options on the site, so hopefully you can find one you like that still loads quickly.

rock_hound Guest
    Thanks, ExtraLite speeded things up significantly.