Thread: Requesting Arkansas Geocachers Asssociation assistance

animaltx Guest

Requesting Arkansas Geocachers Asssociation assistance

***edited and raised the reward***

Hello from Texas,

We are hoping to gather some assistance from the geocaching community. I had spoken to Woodwalker9; he granted me permission to post this request on the forums.

We recently launched a high altitude balloon project from North Texas. The flight went well however, the balloon travel went much farther than planned. We took the 5 hour drive to the location. But, we lost too much daylight to proceed.

The balloon has a red and green payload (neoprene lunch bags) with a red parachute.

Are hopes are to gather high altitude pictures, and pictures of the curvature of the earth.

We have gps coordinates and are offering a $200 reward for finding the payload.

33.98672 -94.04364

Details:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...g2c3JmOA&hl=en

Graciously,

David Jones

Ashallond Guest
    Is this the same one that you launched earlier this year, or is this a new one?

animaltx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashallond
    Is this the same one that you launched earlier this year, or is this a new one?

This a new one we launched on 11-19-2010 (yesterday). We traveled out to the location (5 hours). However, we lost day-light and headed home. It's GPS beacon is still putting out coordinates. So, we have high hopes someone can find it.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to post or PM me.

Thanks,

David

Ashallond Guest
    if you play with those coords on google maps it looks like it is just south of a small building on the south end of a ridge...possibly a fire watch building or a mobile home or such?

Unfortunately, I'm not going that way anytime soon, but maybe some of the SWAG group could?

Are you related to a university by any chance? Btw, congrats on your launches. they do seem to go quite well. Did you ever find the last one you launched?

animaltx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashallond
    if you play with those coords on google maps it looks like it is just south of a small building on the south end of a ridge...possibly a fire watch building or a mobile home or such?

Unfortunately, I'm not going that way anytime soon, but maybe some of the SWAG group could?

Are you related to a university by any chance? Btw, congrats on your launches. they do seem to go quite well. Did you ever find the last one you launched?
    No relation to a university. Thanks, we've recovered 3 since the last one that was lost. It has become a very rewarding and challenging hobby.

Below is a picture we got back in July of this year.

IMG_2044 by balloon_boy, on Flickr

Ashallond Guest
    Wow. That's amazing. See, you've now crossed over into one of my other hobbies, amateur astronomy. If I may ask, are you doing something similar to the MIT students who launched that cooler balloon a while back?

gingerose Guest
    There is a strong possibility I will be in that area tommorrow. PLEASE let me know via email (stampingholly@yahoo.com) if this has been recovered as I will be traveling with my muggle husband.

Also any information that might be helpful please email me directly.

Thank you!!!

animaltx Guest
    Thank you all! The balloon has been recovered. Thanks for all the emails!

Happy Holidays,

David