Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's All About The Numbers

It's All About The Numbers

We have been watching the number of geocaches in Arkansas grow for a number of years now. Here is the question---

When will we reach 10,000 active geocaches in Arkansas?

Today, we are at 9666. We want to thank all the cachers who have given back to this great sport by placing caches. Our guess is January 1.

What do you think?

Based on the saturation of Russellville, I would've thought Arkansas had more than that

My guess would be Feb 4

pshelto Guest

Caches

If you think Russellville is saturated, check out Camden. Man oh man. We started hiding caches on road signs because all the light poles were taken.

just curious what is the saturation of Russellville area?

Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    just curious what is the saturation of Russellville area?
    Using GCKG3F Main Street For Dummies is right smack in the middle of downtown.
    There are 294 caches within a 5mile radius. That is not counting 5.1 etc. That is under 5.0 miles.
    There are 452 caches within a 10 mile radius.
    602 within 15 miles and 872 within 20 mile radius.

And the Big number: within 29.9 miles of the center of Russellville there are 1502 caches.

edieo Guest
    Ok I'm curious as how you got those number . I sure need to learn alot more about using some of the programs available .

Sounds like I could do a pocket query on Russellville and spend a week there. It is good to see all the new caches being posted in Arkansas.

I spent Thanksgiving in Charleston, SC with my daughter. I didn't get to do a lot of geocaching (almost none), but when I ran a pocket query prior to my trip, using the main zip code for Charleston as the center point and setting the radius to 30 miles, the query only returned about 250 caches!!! So I extended the radius to 35 miles and the query returned a whopping 298 caches!!! Needless to say, I was VERY surprised by these results, as I expected a lot more caches based upon my experience with places like Memphis or OKC. I went to an eat and greet event there about 3 years ago, and a local cacher told me that Charleston really didn't have a lot of caches. I guess things have not changed! Go Russellville! Go Arkansas River Valley! Go Arkansas!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

We're guessing that Arkansas will hit 10,000 caches before Christmas. Chuck Walla is being kept quite busy by all the cachers in the state.

We have been thrilled to see so many new caches published in the Russellville area by new and experienced cachers. The variety and different styles of cache hides have been fun and challenging.

edieo Guest
    I agree with nukeworker ,I also believe we could reach the 10,000 mark by Christmas if not it looks like it will be before the end of 2010..