Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile device logs/blank logs

Mobile device logs/blank logs

Am I being unreasonable to expect a cacher to, at the minimum, put "thanks for the cache" in our logs? We only have a few caches out and already I am getting irritated by logs that say nothing in the log (I mean, literally a blank space where the log should be) or logs that simply say "Sent from my mobile device" or logs that have only a period in them.

We took the time to go out and hide the cache. Why can't they take a minute to write ANYTHING letting us know that they enjoyed the cache a little bit?

Sorry for the rant. I'm not sure why it gets to me so much..... Does anyone else get irritated by this or is it just me being a cantankerous old man (at 23)?

Just a part of the game. Trust me there are some excellent cache find writers in this state (all are also members of ArkGeo) and when they find your caches and write excellent logs it makes up for the other (sometimes even negative) logs. Keep your head up and keep hiding caches! Maybe someday I can make it up to your area to find 'em!

We are also bothered by the trend of cachers not writing logs....either by mobile device or from their computers. Most of these people haven't placed any caches and have no idea how much time and expense it takes to place caches. And sometimes we aren't sure they know how to use their mobile device. As much as we'd like to, we can't change the world. Drat it. As Justin said, a few excellent logs will sure make up for the bad ones.

In my opinion, even a skirt lifter log should have at least a TFTH or similar. I would be less upset if that's what we were getting on our logs, but getting no log at all is just ridiculous.

Having said that - The enjoyment we get from reading some of these logs definitely offsets the bad ones. Especially if the log contains a good story about the area, about the cache, about the trip to the cache, etc....

I guess there's nothing to do but sit back and enjoy the good logs and ignore the bad ones

photojunky Guest
    It was brought to my attention early that I was posting short logs, but I never left them blank. Remember that some of the cachers are young and might think their parents will post a good log for them (my son is one of them). The good posts, and I have had many logged on my hides, more then make up for the short ones and I just enjoy getting that little notice that someone took the time to find one of mine. I love the game and hope that you do not get discouraged, you are in a great area for caching. I will make it a point to find some of yours soon.

edieo Guest
    I agree with every one on this the good logs out weigh the bad logs but it does get under my skin to get a log that says nothing but "Sent from my Moblie device" or nothing at all. Maybe giving time new comer will come to understand that a Saying a few words in a log is our only Reward for placing caches,,I'd take "your cache stinks" over nothing at all !!!

If a cacher signs the physical log in the geocache, then they may claim the find online. There is no requirement on what a Found It log has to be, so the types of logs mentioned in this thread are, unfortunately, allowable. There have been a number of the "Sent from my Moblie device" logs in the Russellville area lately. I checked one of my caches to verify that the physical log had been signed when I received the email that the online log had those words. The physical log HAD been signed, so the cacher was legitimate. However, I did follow up with the email shown below. I use this as a template to send to new cachers whenever I see a log with little or nothing provided, even for "TFTC" logs. Sometimes it is all that is needed to educate the new cacher to proper etiquette. Many times it is ignored ... even after I sent the email to the new Russellville area cacher who logs their finds, "Sent from my Moblie device", they continued to log finds that way. Then again, maybe they still don't know how to use the website to properly log the find.

Text of email:
    I’m glad to see that you have found several of my caches. However, since you are a new geocacher, you may not be aware of this, but it would be so rewarding to me as a cache owner if you would spend a little more time logging about your experience in finding the caches on the website. The only benefit I get for my time and trouble in placing and maintaining a cache is the electronic log recorded on the Geocaching.com website when a geocacher finds it. "Sent from my mobile device" is the worst possible log you could write. In fact, it is down right lazy since you didn't actually write it. You just pressed a button on your phone without typing anything in. Some cache owners delete logs like that. I don't think that I will, but I would appreciate it if you would go back and revise your logs and take more time in the future when you log a find. I and other cache owners would appreciate it. It's just a matter of geocaching etiquette that you need to be aware of.

Respectfully,

Old River Runner
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

I like that, ORR. Mind if I borrow it?

Quote Originally Posted by kcackler
    Mind if I borrow it?
    Feel free to do so. That's why I put it out there. You might want to change the wording some, though. The "lazy" part might rub people the wrong way (even though it's true, IMHO).
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Regarding http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... ea3c1777ec

I had my mouse on the delete button when I read the rest of your log. You got lucky

Thanks for finding that one. I was getting worried that nobody would ever go back out there.