Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had some fun this evening.

flannelman Guest

Had some fun this evening.

I have been coerced into being the den leader for my local cub scout pack. I have the Tiger Den which is for first graders. My wife and I have eight boys in our den. Tonight I introduced the boys and their parents to Geocaching. I got out before the meeting and hid three caches for the boys to find. They were easy hides but the boys had a great time searching for them. I also talked about what Geocaching is and showed them some really evil cache containers. I think I had more fun than they did.

COOL!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a fun time for sure. Maybe you planted a geocaching seed with some of those kids and their parents. At a minimum you converted a bunch of muggles. Scouting is a great place to spread the geocaching bug.

flannelman Guest
    We are going to go to Lake Ouachita later this month and I plan on hiding some temp caches for them to find while we are there.

Hjaking Guest
    going to Lake Ouachita state park this weekend. Will grab a few caches while there.

This is my second year to be a Cub Scout Den Leader. Last year I was a Tiger Cub Den Leader and this year a Wolf Den Leader. We had a Pack camp out last summer and we hid a couple of containers for the boys to find on the camp out and they loved it. We also went to a Cub Adventure at a state park and during some free time we went and found a couple of geocaches. In fact, one scout liked it so much he asked his parents for a GPSr for Christmas. They have a Boy Scout Merit Badge and I hope one day soon they will create a "Belt Loop" for the Cub Scout Sports and Academics Program.

flannelman Guest
    It would be cool if they would add the belt loop for Geocaching. The boys really like it a lot.

jetbatt Guest
    I am a Royal Ranger Leader. (Royal Rangers is a Christian based mentoring program for boys similar to scouting.) I have 5th grade boys that I am going to introduce the "hobby" to so that they can earn a "Hobby Merit". I am excited anytime I can get the boys interested in anything to do OUTSIDE that doesnt involve an xbox! They view a GPSr as another electronic "toy", so it is easy to bridge the gap with them!

Great idea jetbatt! I know a couple of times ArkGeo has helped with Scouting events where we set up 4 or 5 different caches for the boys to find and they loved it. We set up different types and sizes of containers to let them know that they were not always looking for the same type of cache.

Ltfightr Guest
    I started as a Tiger Den Leader and the next year I became the Cubmaster! LOL! I showed my Pack how to cache last year and now everytime we go on a hike they ask if there will be some on that trail and can we find them. The answer is always "yes' of course we will".

I'm also the Merit Bagde Counciler for the new MB in the Ouachita Area Council. If any leaders from that area are here...May's Roundtable will be held at the Council office and I'll be going over the MB. (It's my last Wood Badge Ticket item!) May 19th at 7 PM.