Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10-10-10 Geocaching Day

Ashallond Guest

10-10-10 Geocaching Day

Groundspeak has been alluding to the fact that they want to get a massive number of finds on October 10th as part of their 10th anniversary celebration. It's also National Earthcache day (I had two bumper stickers saying as much sent to me recently from GSA.)

Anyway, I'm posting this out there because I WAS going to do a mini event to try to get people into Fort Smith to do the Busy Day cache I have on 10-10-10, but I forgot to make it, and I missed the deadline, so oh well.

Anyway, On the main forums they are talking about that you might want to cache on the 10th, as they just added the 'souvenir' page, and the powers that be aren't disputing the fact that there may be one automatically handed out to people who cache on that day.

(but if anyone wants to do the busy day challenge on the 10th, go for it. I've got a couple caches I plan on posting that day as it is.)

10-10-10-day

Hadn't even thought much about it ..but now think I will make sure and try to find 10 on that day for sure. Thanks for waking my brain up this morning.
    jim white

We recently read that Groundspeak is counting all the accounts that log cache finds on 10-10-10 to see how many cachers are caching. They believe that we might beat the previous record from April 18, 2010 when 56,654 accounts logged. Even one cache found counts since they are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged. In some states there are 10-10-10 events planned, but attending an event is not necessary to be counted in the numbers.

Wow. This sounds interesting. I had mentioned the date 10-10-10 but had not thought about caching. I will defintely find at least 10 caches that day. Thanks for alerting us to this. Ashallond I will also be watching for your new caches to post.

Ashallond Guest
    I put out a cache for today, and my FTF'er already logged it and got a 10-10-10 souvenir for their profile. Key I think is that you log the cache TODAY.

Go get 'em.

Yep. 2ter and I grabbed some and logged them today. It gave us both a special souvenir icon. My understanding is that it is only available for caches logged and found today.

Is anyone else experiencing super-congestion of gc.com? My iPhone app was paralyzed, so I had to boot up my laptop, which was just shy of molasses. When I got home to log my TEN finds, including FOUR FTF's, and also to create a few cache hide descriptions, I find the website paretic.

Yep. Took me FO-EVA to log my caches and 2ter to log her few she got.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincooder
    When I got home to log my TEN finds ...
    According to Groundspeak, it doesn't take 10 finds. Per their blog (Latitude 47):
    The geocaching community is attempting to break the record for number of accounts that logged caches in a single day. Currently that number stands at 56,654. Even one log on 10-10-10 counts since we are tallying how many accounts log a cache, rather than the number of caches logged.
    However, by coincidence, I also made 10 finds. I didn't start out to do so, it just worked out that way. Of course, I had one DNF (the cache was missing, it really was, but I guess that counts as a DNF. But that is a topic for another discussion.) But yes, around 1 to 2:30 PM today, the website was painfully slow. However, it is running back at normal speed late this afternoon (around 5 PM).

By the way, does anyone know how to display the souvenir image on their profile page. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner
    By the way, does anyone know how to display the souvenir image on their profile page. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    ORR - Put the following in your profile:
    Code: