Thread: Header information

n5xl Guest

Header information

Hi Folks,

I did a brief search for information on this topic with no luck so please forgive me if this has been brought up before.....

I am getting the following when I go to the forums.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsphere/local/home/bdrake/arkgeocaching.org/header.php:32) in /home/hsphere/local/home/bdrake/arkgeocaching.org/includes/page_header.php on line 529

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsphere/local/home/bdrake/arkgeocaching.org/header.php:32) in /home/hsphere/local/home/bdrake/arkgeocaching.org/includes/page_header.php on line 531

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsphere/local/home/bdrake/arkgeocaching.org/header.php:32) in /home/hsphere/local/home/bdrake/arkgeocaching.org/includes/page_header.php on line 532

Do I have a setting wrong on my browser that is causing this? I am using Firefox 1.0, but I also am having the same issue in IE too.

Not sure if this is because of the firewall I have to run because of hackers, or spybot search and destroy program I have to run because of ad-ware.

me venting...not related to the above issue
    It sure is getting harder and harder for the average computer user like me to just browse around without being subjected to spyware, adware, virus', trojans. It REALLY bothers me that i HAVE to run AV programs, spyware programs, firewall programs, just to have my computer work at a semi decent speed and keep the less than desirable stuff at bay. Right now...I have just had a second attempt from an outside computer attempting to connect to my system. Norton firewall blocked it and is telling me its an inbound attempt using a trojan horse program....sigh. I would have been unaware of this had I not had a firewall running. I am so darn paranoid now, I virus scan everything....sigh sigh sigh. God knows what it wanted to do. I can see how identity theft is such a big issue and a crime that’s on the rise. With stuff going on behind your back like this.......GRRRRRRRRR.

If you live in the country like I do, you might be able to relate to this analogy....it reminds me of going to a big city where you always have to watch your back and look out for everything. Geez...Its bad enough to have to be subjected to it when you HAVE to go to a big city to do work, but now I have to deal with it on my computer when I go to get my email or just browse to honest sites like this one.

Dave
    N5XL

n5xl Guest
    Well, its not Firefox or IE. I can log in from work with both and all is well. So that leaves me with another issue to deal with on my computer at home.

Any ideas of where to check or what to look for?

Thanks

Dave
    N5XL

Hello Dave,

I use FireFox as well, and for the same reasons you do. I also use ZoneAlarm, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Spyware Blaster. It's getting so hard to do anything on the web these days without getting blasted by spyware, trojans, worms, etc., etc., etc. I feel your pain.

Since your problem seems to be computer specific rather than browser-specific, I would tend to look at things like security settings, firewall settings, policies, and the like in Windows (I assume you are using XP...)

Here are some specific things I would investigate. First, I know it's a risk, but have you tried turning off your firewall long enough to try this page? Have you made any changes to your Windows policies using GPEDIT or REGEDIT recently? Any Windows updates that might have changed some security settings? Do you have your adware detection or virus protection program set to automatically delete any infected files it finds?

The good news: I can assure you that this site uses no adware or tracking devices of any kind, so you can be safe allowing all traffic from this site, if it's necessary in your firewall.

Let us know if you make any progress...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

southdeltan Guest
    This isn't a spyware problem.

I beleive that it's a website issue with php-nuke and/or the forums. I've seen it before, and sometimes it only shows up for certain people. (I'm not sure why).

I will do some research on this and get back with you guys.

southdeltan

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Dave, concerning your other "venting". Do you use a cable modem and do you have a network card? If so you might look into getting a router and cable which are probably under $50 at Walmart. The router has it's own URL and shields intruders from ever reaching your computer. I don't know if this will always be true but I believe it is with the current state of technology.

n5xl Guest
    Thanks Gaddiel,

While I am so paranoid about turning off anything security related on my computer, I turned off several things (one at a time and then checking to see if it solved the problem), and it turned out to be the firewall set a tad too tight.

I am using Norton Internet Security and by disabling it, the problem went away. I then spent about about 30 mins in the option settings trying to determine what specifically was causing the problem. By removing port 80 from the HTTP port list, the problem went away. I then verified that removing port 80 from the list would not cause me any issues by running the Symantec online security check, which checks out your computer by trying to access it via different ports. Symantec gave me a clean bill of health so I'll say that the problem is fixed. No wacky header error messages, firewall is enabled, and port 80 removed from the HTTP list.

Geezer,
    I WISH I had a cable modem or even DSL. I love the country life, but the one thing I dont like about it is the terrible dial up speeds. If I am lucky, I can connect at 28.8, but most of the time its 26.4. To make matters worse, at work, I have T1 access speed...sigh. One day I'll bite the bullet and go satellite, but I just cant seem to justify 500 dollars in equipment and 60 dollars a month service fee.

Thanks all for the suggestions on my computer problem....

Dave
    N5XL

Dave I had to bite the bullet 2 years ago and buy the satellite and BOY was it worth it and it cot $750 and $80 a month it was worth every penny.I had 1.5 meg upload and download speeds.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

LongDogs Guest

Cookies?

I can't say if the problem is blocking port 80, or blocking cookies, but I do know you can turn cookies on for just one site. I can assure I will never sell your info or use cookies for tracking you or anything of the sort! Cookies from ArkGeocaching.org are safe and only used for keeping you logged in.