Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protected Caches

pshelto Guest

Protected Caches

So I was out with EmptyLog (oh wait...I mean Hollowlog) yesterday repairing some caches and I decided to work on his multi-cache. He gave me the cords for it, since the first stage was shot and I went on my way. Found the first stage, made the repair and moved to the second stage. This is where the fun began.

Without giving away too much, I'll say we found the second stage in a circular object. Inside this circular object was bluebird...attached to the cache. Hollowlog pulls out the bird and has to fight it (not much) to get the cache out of its small feet. Crazy huh?

Second story here, I have a cache hidden in a rock wall that once was guarded by a snake.

Anyone have any wildlife cache stories?

TheRascals Guest
    Wildlife stories. The first logs of one of my caches GC1BTYM tell some really good wildlife stories. See if you agree. I hated I had to move this cache as I could see it becoming a legend.

pshelto Guest

legend

Legend indeed! That sounded like a cool place; too bad the owner didn't like all the extra attention it was getting. I especially liked the rabbit urban legend...that was classic.

Any other wildlife stories out there?

HikerRon Guest
    I've had two of my Colorado caches muggled by bears, and had to archive
    a cache in Castle Rock, CO. because someone found it surrounded by baby rattlesnakes. Twice.

HikerRon Guest
    Also, I once was searching for a cache in Burns Park and found it guarded by a skunk. Literally standing over the tupperware! I waited for about 15 minutes til it finally moved off, then walked over to the cache. Smelled pretty bad around there!

grzz51 Guest
    I once found one of Woodwalker's caches that a nest of ants had set up residence in. I didn't know so many ants could fit in such a small place

protected caches

While it might not be protected it is something to keep in mind. You know there are a lot of containers placed at the base of street signs and lamp post. Just please remember that a lot of our 4 legged friends stop by these places and salute these poles. So some of the soggy logs may not always be water damage! Please remember to use hand sanitizer after signing and replacing a cache.
    jim white

Great observation and excellent advice. We keep hand sanitizer in each vehicle and in our backpacks, using it often during a day of caching. Wouldn't cache without it.

Great advice on the hand sanitizer. I keep it handy as well but some caching friends told me that used it each time they cached near poision ivy or poision oak. They claim it gets rid of any they may have touched and therefore they don't ever break out with it. I've used it all summer and so far no poision ivy or oak.

chimps8mybaby Guest

Park & Run