Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ash's grand scheme...is he insane?

Ashallond Guest

Ash's grand scheme...is he insane?

ok, I need some serious advice from those of you who have done pieces of what I plan to do over spring break, well, at least what I would like to do over spring break next March.

I want to try to finish all three of the state challenge caches during that week (AR county, Delorme, and State Parks)

My logic is this. I can pretty much knock out a lot of the NW/W portion of the state before then, which would leave me a nice loop around the state starting out south from fort smith, going east and then back north and around towards the MH area.

question I have, logistically, is my plan even really going to be nice and feasible, and more than likely a 6-7 day full run isn't really likely, or will I get done with them all, and realize that now I've got a crazy cross state dash back and forth to find the finals. (I haven't even tried to figure out the issues with lodging and such at this point...I'm just doing the initial info gathering.)

I'm not wanting clues on where the finals are. I'll deal with that legitimately...I'm just asking those who have completed this challenge for some sage advice.

I did all three basically at the same time and LOVED it. I didn't make it a week long journey, although that would have been fun. I divided it up (after I got all the ones locally and within an hour or two drive, and the rest of the state I quartered up. I did a three day NE Ark run and a three day NW Ark run and loved it. I don't think there is any other way to do them that all at once. I wish you well!

I'm waiting on the Louisiana State Park series to publish (it is supposed to be identical to Arkansas) and I plan on doing the same three for Louisiana.

I heard there is an $800 dollar prize for the first to complete the LA challenge.

Yes, I have read prizes equal to something like that. Trouble is it keeps getting delayed in starting. I'm ready for it to get started!

Ashallond Guest
    ok then, I'll have to start scheming to finish off my parks and counties...and then figure out where I'm going to crash every night in hotels, or maybe get a couple of fellow cachers to allow me the use of a couch for a night.

or....maybe I can arrange for event days with people following along for a segment of the trip for those who want to make a dent in the challenges on a day or so that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashallond
    ok then, I'll have to start scheming to finish off my parks and counties...and then figure out where I'm going to crash every night in hotels, or maybe get a couple of fellow cachers to allow me the use of a couch for a night.

or....maybe I can arrange for event days with people following along for a segment of the trip for those who want to make a dent in the challenges on a day or so that week.
    I just threw a tent in the back of the truck, some firewood, and some food. I don't know how much you like to camp, but I had a blast doing it that way. MUCH cheaper than buying a hotel each night.

Ashallond Guest
    true true...and march wouldn't be a bad time to do some camping. Well, first step in this mess is to figure out which Parkcaches I need to get in areas that i've already done the county and delorme grid, and do quick runs before March to clean up those (I know of 4 that I have to get already)

Lot of schemeing going on...gotta try to be optimal. that and figure out which PC's are going to be crazy long hikes.

edieo Guest
    I'd also check out the bookmarks for other folks that have finished to see what caches they grabbed where .That's the way I did it and since I didn't have alot of time on my few trips I keep to my plans and didn't get but a few caches that weren't on my list for what I needed .I still need to pick up the final to the Delorme.But I've been saving it for a milestone mark.

DaTexanBoy Guest
    How do you find state caches like the one described? You'll have to pardon my ignorance, I'm still very green in the world of geocaching.

DaTexanBoy

Ashallond Guest
    Go to the nearest state park, and look for the cache that will have 'ParkCache' in the name. If you open that cache page up, then the owner is "Arkansas State Parks" You can click on his name to get a list of all his caches, which are only the parkcaches.

That's one way to do it, especially if you haven't gotten used to doing the search page yet.