Thread: Question about quotes?

nonnipoppy Guest

Question about quotes?

Is it safe to assume that quotes on this forum will appear as they do on GC.com? If so what is my problem herehttp://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules...ca27e8402e :?:

Since I know very little about anything that means my knowledge is limited in any area. But HTML has not even ever been on my radar screen. Any and all help will be appreciated....poppy

LongDogs Guest

Re: Question about quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Is it safe to assume that quotes on this forum will appear as they do on GC.com? If so what is my problem herehttp://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules...ca27e8402e :?:

Since I know very little about anything that means my knowledge is limited in any area. But HTML has not even ever been on my radar screen. Any and all help will be appreciated....poppy
    It should work about the same. (I haven't tried it there lately.)

For it to work, be sure you don't have "Disable BBCode in this post" checked below the input window. BBCode is the code that handles such things as bold, quotes, etc.

LongDogs Guest

Re: Question about quotes?

Quotes are not in HTML. You have to use something called BBCode. That is what is produced by the buttons above the frame. I disabled BBCode in this reply, so you could tell what it looks like.

LongDogs Guest

Quotes

I looked back at the message you were referring to in the admin message editor, and I could tell the problem. It was just a typo.
    You had the [quote] part right, but at the end you had [/quote} <-note curly brace, not the square brace ].

I went ahead and fixed it, so it should look ok, now.

By the way, the Disable BBCode is so you can use square brackets or sample BBCode in a post, like this, without them getting turned into the formatting they represent.

Hope this helps.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Thanks LongDogs for the help. But I have not the foggest idea about BBcode. It's all geek to me! (pun intended)..poppy

southdeltan Guest
    Poppy: (I got it right that time, sorry for calling you Nonni, hehe):

UBB code is a bulletin board markup language. It is similar to HTML but not the same. I have had an issue with html on php-nuke forums - it doesn't always work correctly so I just use UBB code on the forums. I haven't had time to really poke around in the code. I thought I was this week but I've been busy because of my brothers wedding.

Anyways - When you are writing a post look at the stuff at the top. You have a line to put in a subject. You also have buttons to insert various things like Bold, italics, quotes, etc.

The most commonly used things will be quotes, Img (images) and URL (links).

If you mouse-over the button (for those that don't know - hold your mouse curser over the button) and look directly above the box you type in - it will tell you the correct syntax.

If you want to make the link you had work in UBB, do this:

INSERT WORDS YOU WANT TO NAME POST

Basically - do: [url= change the ] to a = and put the ] at the end of the url.

This will allow you to give the post a name and hides the long url. If you don't care about the url showing - do as Bert suggested:

http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules...f1bcca27e8402e

Just make sure you use the [] brackets.

Quotes are pretty much the same.

Insert what you want to quote here - cut/pasted of course.
    I hope this helps some.

southdeltan

nonnipoppy Guest
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think I need to get a book "Forum Posting for Dummies".....poppy

LongDogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by southdeltan
    I have had an issue with html on php-nuke forums - it doesn't always work correctly so I just use UBB code on the forums. I haven't had time to really poke around in the code.
    This is typically by design. With HTML fully enabled, it is possible for a hacker to inject html that can do nasty things to a site, or anyone browsing it. (They can, for example, embed a trojan horse activeX control or script in it.) That is why most html commands are disabled in phpBB and phpNuke. Many sites disable HTML completely in forums.