Thread: Caching, Sogging, And Rescuing

Phantom_491 Guest

Caching, Sogging, And Rescuing

I went to Texas this past weekend to have an early Thanksgiving w/ my parents. I noticed there were a few SOGs that were close to the route I was taking so....

I contacted Mark, got the coordinates for 4 of them, then headed out. Along the way I stopped by Poor Boys Stash, and TB Stop, to pick it up and take to the owners in Texarkana.

The 1st SOG I picked up on my way to my parent's place. Quick trip down a couple country dirt roads that had ruts in them that my Jeep handled w/ no problem. 500ft, and 10 minutes later, I returned to the Jeep, Sog in hand.

Revisited a couple caches to do TB exchanges, and to check on a couple of mine.

On the way home:

The second SOG took almost an hour of bushwacking through briars, tangle vines and other green stuff.

The third was another quick side trip from I-30, down a few back roads,dirt roads, Hopped a Barbed wire fence, and dodged the cowpies. 10 minutes or less from Jeep Cache-o-kee to SOG & back.

Stopped in Texarkana to return a cache and report that another of their caches was missing. I plan on coming back this way later to pick up the repaired cache and put it back where it belongs

The 4th was a lttle further off my route than the others (22miles) I headed oout there and made contact with the land-owners, who promptly told me that one of their neighbors had found it and had it at their house just down the road. I headed there to see if I could retrieve it, but they had already called Space Data Systems about it. Oh well, it happens.

To sum up. 2 days, 600 miles, 3 SOGs, 1 rescued cache, 4 TBs traded.

cachemates Guest
    Hi Phantom
    I had noticed where one of the SOGs was near Ore City, You probably picked that one up. My brother lives between Diana and Gilmer. Looks like you were one busy guy.

Jerry

Phantom_491 Guest
    That was the one that took almost an hour. It was actually halfway between Gilmer & Ore City off of 155.

The cache that was missing was Confederate Camp Haunt (Also off 155 a little closer to Ore City). I was going to pick it up since it was a little soggy and take it to 'The Nugget Hunters' for repairs, when I gave them PBS&TBS.

cachecrazies Guest
    Congratulations Phantom on finding more SOG's!

We got our "check in the mail" this week so have applied it to a new GPS for me (Linda). All this fun and we got paid for it too! Does this make us "professional geocachers"?

We enjoyed looking for it so much that we'll sure do it again if one comes close to us!

Quote Originally Posted by cachecrazies
    We got our "check in the mail" this week so have applied it to a new GPS for me (Linda).
    COOL! What kind are you looking at? I remember that Bob has a Legend, but I forget what you have...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

GEO Guest

Way to go

Phantom,
    Got you e-mail,yes 3 outta 4 aint bad.
    At least this time I have partners in advance,hehehehehe.
    I tried to get a team going on the 1st one but then we were not as aware as we are now.
    Sounds like great fun,
    But I am the one with the blown tranny right now but I should have her a runnin for then.
    Again way to go on the SOG's.

cachecrazies Guest
    Gaddiel

COOL! What kind are you looking at? I remember that Bob has a Legend, but I forget what you have
    I HAD a very old Magellan 2000 XL which finally gave up!

On it's way to me (as we "speak") is a Garmin 60CS so we can do the autorouting, etc. That is ... if I share with Bob! Even though I've switched brands I still intend to keep the competitive spirit!

GEO Guest
    Like shootin pool .................................

It aint the stick.

Like huntin caches .........................................
    it aint the GPS.

sounds like a good one though,any Garmin woops
    I have magellans too.

The RINO's Still ROCK.

Garmin RULES!!!!!!!!!!
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!