Thread: Paperless Caching

cachemates Guest

Paperless Caching

I just recently got me a new palm pda and knowing almost nothing about computers and such things I was completely lost as what to do with it. I had remembered talking to ORR at the event in burns park. He said I should call Poppy of nonnipoppy. I didn't have anything to lose so I give him a call, sure enough poppy knew just what to do, He called me one day, I sat down at the computer and he talked me through the process.
    I would never have worked that out by myself. So I would like to thank Poppy (Max) for his help in getting me started caching without having to print all those cache pages. I just wanted all of you to know what a great help he was to me and I'm sure he would help anyone who ask. I know I will have to have his help again but I won't be afraid to ask.
    Thanks a lot Max.
    Jerry.

BooCrew Guest
    Jerry,

I've so wanted to get me one of those but until I get the bills paid down it's way on the back burner. So for now, I'll be jealous. Have fun!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Jerry, that's great! What model did you get and how much memory? How many cache pages will it hold (approximately)? I might look into getting one myself. Thanks.

Guy

Hey, Jerry! We went paperless about a year ago. I can't imagine going back now. I hope you find it to be as helpful as we have. Let us know how you progress and holler if you have questions! I'm not a Palm user, but I'd be glad to help with Pocket Query questions and stuff....

BTW, we have a Dell Axim X3i. We run GPXSonar to view the cache pages and Microsoft Pocket Streets 2005 for the maps. (For those of you using Pocket Streets, the 2005 version has a scale on the maps now! Woo Hoo!!!) My next goal is to get a cable to connect the GPSr to the PPC, so I can have real-time mapping. Eventually, I hope we can just get a laptop to do this.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

cachemates Guest
    Guy The pda I bought is the Palm Tungsten E it has 32mb of memory and a you can add memory cards for games and other things. I bought it off Ebay for 148.00 plus shipping. I would only buy one that was new and unopened. I had bought an used palm 125 off Ebay Max helped me set it up but I couldn't get it to work. He told me how to try to fix the problem but it just wouldn't work so I went back to Ebay but would only bid on new and unopened. You might get a good used one but I wasn't going to take the chance the second time.
    I downloaded Gsak to my computer and Cachemate to the pda. If you don't pay for a registered version 10 caches is all you will get. I don't know how many caches pages it will hold. I have a 100 on it now.
    It has a color screen and you can put pictures on it. I have pictures on it we took at Deezers cache Alum Cove. It has more stuff on it than I will ever use.
    I'm sure there are other systems out there that is just as good or better and Someone else can explain it better than me but maybe this will help you.
    Jerry

cachemates Guest
    Boo crew
    I know about the bills coming in. Don't you just hate it when bills get in the way of having fun? Next time you go to Walmart check out the parking lot for lost money. Abby found a 100.00 bill that had been run over and rained on so it had been there for awhile. Backpacking Jack says keep looking up, but in our case we need to keep looking down.

Gaddiel
    Thanks for offering your help. I may ask for it sometime. I have a lot to learn about this pda thing but with people like you and others offering to help it will make it a lot easier. I will let you know how this work out after We use it for a while.
    Thanks.
    Jerry

nonnipoppy Guest

Re: Paperless Caching

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Bonnie-Abby
    Thanks a lot Max.
    Jerry.
    You are most welcome. Glad we could help.......Max/poppy

cachecrazies Guest
    PAPERLESS CACHING?????

But then what would I decorate the family room with???

If I didn't have a gazillion cache sheets laying around the room would look naked!

I have an Ipaq 3600 it is the first color PDA put out by Compaq, which is now HP. The Ipaq has unlimited memory with the use of a compact flash card. I also use the laptop which is a lot better then my PDA the Laptop has a lot more info to view and a larger screen.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!