Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers needed

Prayers needed

I just heard and read an article where at least 12 people have been killed in some flash flooding near Caddo Gap, AR.

All of their families and those helping with this tragedy need our prayers.

CADDO GAP, Ark. – Flash floods triggered by more than a half-foot of rain wiped away campsites along a pair of southwestern Arkansas rivers early Friday. State police said a dozen people were killed and several others were stranded.
    The normally peaceful Caddo and Little Missouri rivers rose by 20 feet overnight, swamping hikers and campers spending the night in the remote and normally serene Ouachita Mountains. The area also includes second homes, hunting camps and U.S. Forest Service campgrounds.
    "We don't know who was in there last night," State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said. "This is a very wide area."
    Sadler said officials were moving in a refrigerated truck to set up a temporary morgue. Searchers were working along the Little Missouri River in Montgomery and Pike counties and the National Guard dispatched helicopters to help in the rescue.
    Sadler said 12 people had been killed in the floods.
    Gov. Mike Beebe, in Dumas for an economic develop announcement, said the deaths occurred about 5:30 a.m., when the water hit its peak. He said he did not plan to visit the site immediately.
    "I don't want to get in the way," Beebe said. "There is an intense search-and-rescue attempt."
    The Little Missouri west of Caddo Gap stood at 3 feet Thursday but after 7.6 inches of rain fell in the area overnight the level jumped to 23.5 feet by Friday morning. At 10 a.m. it had dropped to 11.5 feet.
    The damage was centered around the Camp Albert Pike area, 75 miles west of Little Rock.
    Rainfall totaled 7.6 inches at Glenwood, a weather reporting station about 20 miles from the scene, according to data from the National Weather Service at North Little Rock. Marty Trexler, a senior meteorologist, said heavy rain fell throughout the region before moving into northern Arkansas later Friday morning.

Definitely uplift prayers for these people.

The news reports put the deceased at twenty now with potentially dozens more unaccounted for. The only thing we can do is pray for those that may have survived and hope they are rescued quickly and pray for the injured victims and families of both the victims and the deceased. This is a tragedy that all of us who love the outdoors could have just as easily been there when this happened.

Our prayers are sent that way, it appears the count is now 16 and many more are still missing.. worst was at the Albert Pike campground near Langley

Yes, arkfiremedic is correct, death toll is now up to 20, I have been listening to the rescue effort here, and I am afraid it will be higher by tomorrow

When I heard that the toll was at 16 there were another 40 reported missing.

Yes the latest reports have the fatality count down to 16 from 20. I hope it doesn't rise again, but it sounds like it may.

Has anyone heard from Cachemates? That is just up the road from them...

TinmanJones Guest
    I hated to hear of this tragedy! My family will be praying for everyone involved! Its a sad day!

flannelman Guest
    Prayers sent.