Thread: ArkGeo Board Meeting scheduled for July 16th, 2010

ArkGeo Board Meeting scheduled for July 16th, 2010

The next Arkansas Geocachers Association Board of Directors Meeting is scheduled for July 16th, 2010. This meeting will start at 6:00 PM and will be held at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway. All are welcome to attend. If you wish to address the Board at this meeting, we ask that you contact a Board member at least three days prior to the meeting to request a place on the AGENDA.

The Board meeting will be in the Burdick Business Administration (BBA) building, room 218. Coordinates for the building entrance are N35 04.848 W092 27.350.

any plans to allow remote listening either via web or phone?

There is a conference phone we use for calling in where ever you are - I think it is long distance if you aren't in the Conway area. Wayne - gaddiel would know.

Yes, the call to the conference is a long distance number. Not sure exactly how it will turn out, but I've sent some information to the Board about options for live remote listening.

I think it would be great if members could listen to the meeting and maybe even have a way for us to ask questions...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

During the Board Meeting on July 16th, 2010 the Board discussed the ability for members to listen to the board meetings via teleconference.

In the future when the announcement is posted for the upcoming board meeting the information needed for members to phone in and listen to the meeting will be posted as well.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind however.

First, the number to access the meeting by phone is a long distance number, and the meetings tend to run for almost 3 hours, so you will want to plan accordingly (i.e phone plan with unlimited calling).

Second, you will only be able to listen in, however a section is going to be added to the agenda for questions and comments from the membership during the meeting and at that time access to speak can be granted.

The board invites anyone to attend the meeting in person when able and by phone in the future also.

Just as a thought:
    skype's limit on Conference calling is 25 people, which includes the host. This could work depending on how many people are interested in joining.

The other thing is that some conferencing systems use a 1800 number for outside people to join...you may look into the current conference system and see if it has one.

Another option would be to include a "streaming" feature for the website. Since this don't happen often, I would think we can basically make a live webfeed so we can watch and listen if we choose, especially if it's coming from a college...means we should have good bandwidth to support this function. Also, since it only happens ever few months, we should be okay on our bandwidth usage limits.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii
    Just as a thought:
    skype's limit on Conference calling is 25 people, which includes the host. This could work depending on how many people are interested in joining.
    Skype was initially considered, but with each caller that joins, the call quality drops. More than about 6-7 begins to be a problem, in my experience at least...

The other thing is that some conferencing systems use a 1800 number for outside people to join...you may look into the current conference system and see if it has one.
    Our conferencing system does not offer any plan with free access for multiple callers. We did look at a couple that offered this service, but the rates were too high. In the end, we chose a free service to keep the costs down for the Association. This could be revisited, however.

Another option would be to include a "streaming" feature for the website. Since this don't happen often, I would think we can basically make a live webfeed so we can watch and listen if we choose, especially if it's coming from a college...means we should have good bandwidth to support this function. Also, since it only happens ever few months, we should be okay on our bandwidth usage limits.
    I looked at UStream a few months ago for this purpose. When I was checking, I think the service was free(?) Website setup would be fairly easy and I don't think the bandwidth would be a problem. ArkGeo would need to obtain one or two cameras (webcams would probably work fine) and someone would need to be responsible to bring them to each meeting and get them set up...

Is this kind of setup what you were talking about?

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile